Nasty dogs - a 'I am hard' badge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Night Train said:
I am still of the opinion that there are no bad dogs or breeds, just owners that should have been neutered or drowned at birth.

That's probably true but I still can't help being wary around certain dogs until I've established their character. It's also a capacity thing. Some breeds have the capacity to do a lot more damage than others if they lose it for a moment.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Crackle said:
That's probably true but I still can't help being wary around certain dogs until I've established their character. It's also a capacity thing. Some breeds have the capacity to do a lot more damage than others if they lose it for a moment.
The same can be said for humans, I am wary around some humans but have never felt that way around animals.

Animals are very good at saying 'Give me space, I'm not comfotable with you right now.'. They are also very good at deciding if a person is being nice or not. Sadly many humans lie about being nice and the poor animal doesn't always take that into account.

Dogs wear their hearts on their sleeve and if you are genuinely kind to them, they know and respond likewise and with loyalty.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Any dog is easy to judge, TBH...(if you've owned them) just don't run............

Try cats...... far harder even if you've known them for a decade... push it, they will 'ave you......

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Some breeds may have the tendancy for agression more than others but every dog has the ability to be agressive.In every single case it is the OWNER not the dog.I have always owned GSD's and Weimeraners and they are higly trained and very loved(Millie sleeps IN BED with me!)but people who get dogs as a pretence of how "hard" they are are the reason these dogs get a bad name as they are so often clueless.

asterix

Comrade Member
I am a fan of Pyrenean Mountain dogs (see avatar) they are very large and extremely protective of the pack (as they see the herd of sheep they guard) and yet really quite friendly towards passing cyclists.

When I took the picture it was bloody freezing and wet, even the sheep looked thoroughly pi1ssed off. Dog's happy as larry.

Oh, and they are totally unsuitable as pets, hate being kept indoors for any time at all.

MePower

Night Train;688149 I am still of the opinion that there are no bad dogs or breeds said:
Agree. All dogs can be trained to do just about anything you want, but even a well trained dog can be percieved as a badly behaved dog if the handler doesnt know what to do, or has the wrong attitude towards owning one (read chav)
It is the owners that should be trained to handle a dog. It has been suggested that training and certification for new owners should be compulsory before being allowed to have a dog. Maybe thats going too far, but at least it treats the cause of so-called bad dogs. Oh and Lisa21, Weimys rule!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
asterix said:
I am a fan of Pyrenean Mountain dogs (see avatar) they are very large and extremely protective of the pack (as they see the herd of sheep they guard) and yet really quite friendly towards passing cyclists.

When I took the picture it was bloody freezing and wet, even the sheep looked thoroughly pi1ssed off. Dog's happy as larry.

Oh, and they are totally unsuitable as pets, hate being kept indoors for any time at all.

Friend of the family (swiss) have one and she is lovely. Very loyal, and quiet - I have stood on her so many times not realising she has curled up under the sofa as she is so quiet.

2hda89h.jpg

One of my children is very scared of dogs (well all animals) and she is the only dog he love and will go near. I would love one but I have refused to buy a dog as we don't have enough time for one. If I worked from home then I would definitely get one.

I assume that's the same thing - I know they bought her in France.

yenrod

Crackle said:
No I don't get that either. It's partly for that reason I walk my dog in different places at the weekend. All the weekend dogs get released in the park for the first time that week, out of control, maybe aggresive and just badly behaved. I've never understood why people want to own aggresive dogs or own dogs when they're not going to walk or socialize them.

Crackle i've come to think that an aggressive dog is the symptom of the owner/s treatment thereof' + the past of the owner compared to the dog itself. Ok a dog is an animal etc...I come to this conclusion by experience with a friends dog what is a staff bull terrier and stupidly out of its mind and very non-viloent though my friend always says you've got rememeber its an animal.

I love dogs - they are mans best friend if you upbring them / treat them with respect.

I suppose people who own dogs, certian people, because they eat them -animals- cannot adhere themselves to the fact they are living beings rather than being able to eat them.

Sometimes its the most obvious things that are far away from our minds.

Top Bottom