Nasty Dogs ( and bitches)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The late great Richard Ballantyne had some advice in Richard's Bicycle Book. ISTR it was along the lines of "Shove your pump down its throat [this was in the days of proper pumps ] kick it in the nads, squirt it with stuff"
Grab him, stab him, jab him, nab him, stop that poochie NOW

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I always keep my dogs in a yard, or on a lead if they are walking. They are well trained and intelligent. My elder dog cannot abide bicycles, even though he was raised among them. That is part of why he doesn't get to roam, but the other reason is that there are leash laws within communities in the States. Not rural areas, where they may roam, but in town this is not allowed. This does not keep people from allowing their dogs to roam, I have 3 neighbors in my subdivision who just let their dogs out, because they do not wish to walk them. For the most part, though, I have had few problems with dogs. Rural riding routes are sometimes chosen, one over another, due to the presence of farm dogs, and what their attitude is toward cyclists. I also carry a bit of rawhide with me, in case a dog should unexpectedly show up. I live very near a main path for cycling tourists, and my worry is that they don't know where to go, and where to avoid, and may have problems going places the locals already know about. That being said, I have to say I worry more about coyote packs (think a large jackal) than I do dogs. Oh, and the wolf and cougar are returning to the area as well.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Ammonia is crossing the line - in the eyes it's liable to permamently blind the dog. The dog is not going to run to a sink and rinse it out. Not that I'm saying I wouldn't squirt it at a dog that already had it's teeth in me. You don't want ammonia leaking about on yourself and your luggage either.

A makeshift pepper spray is easy to make - a handful of ghost peppers or suchlike liquidised in vinegar, and strain out the pulp. Stick in a drop of detergent to keep it emulsified. A dog is really not gonna like that in the face much.

I've not really got a stratergy beyond sticking the bike in the way and hoping for the best. I do know you can't out accelerate a dog on a loaded bike, and probably not out speed it either.
Mind the breeze, though. I saw a guy once try to pepper spray a dog, and caught it right in his own face. Citrus is also a good dog repellant, they say. I would think grapefruit juice may be the best for that, but I'm not testing that theory.

Last edited:
Quite a good article posted above, its a shame pepperspray is illigal in the uk as that would be a great humane way of getting rid.

Bite back dog spray is effectively pepper spray* for dogs, but perfectly legal to use and own. It's a citrus based product. Google it and you'll find it.

I've not personally used it (yet), but others at work have and it has worked for them.

*in the manner its used only - it's not pepper based, or harmful

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The late great Richard Ballantyne had some advice in Richard's Bicycle Book. ISTR it was along the lines of "Shove your pump down its throat [this was in the days of proper pumps ] kick it in the nads, squirt it with stuff"
He certainly did, I remember reading that section several times with an open mouth. He said to hold your pump out in front of you, apparently dogs will jump to attack the thing closest to them, once they've clamped on kick it in the bollocks, the dog should then go down holding it's paws between it's legs, at this point grab a rock and cave the buggers skull in. Fortunately I haven't had cause to follow Richards advice!

Having been chased by dogs in many countries, I am always surprised, that dogs in Malaysia just cannot be bothered to chase cyclists, from my ramblings around that country, even in Pack mode they just look at you, yawn and go back to what the do best sleeping, which then puts you off guard when you cross the border into Thailand, where then become a snarling, slavering, manic beast, hell bent in taken a chew out whatever part of ones body they can sink their teeth into.
A few years ago I was riding to work here in Crawley, when this big monster of a staff type dog chased me and sunk his teeth into my work boots, when i spoke to the young lady who was with the dog she told me that he was just playing, when I pointed out that I did not consider that a mouthful of tooth holes in my boots was playing and it could have been just as easily have been a child it attacked. Because of her attitude, I told her I was going to phone the police, that shocked her and she phoned her husband. He went berserk with her, and got her to get me to wait until he could get to where we were.
Turned out he had told her time and time again not to let the dog off the lead, as it liked to chase bikes, cars and also he tended to get a little boisterous around children. Seems some folk just don't understand that dogs do damage to peeps, even after all the bad publicity in the press they never learn.

classic33

Leg End Member
Informed by a security service officer that if the dog does get a grip of you, aim a foot for the throat. Reflex action will cause the dog to let go.
You swing the foot in a sideways motion, giving you a better chance of making contact.

OP
OP
Low Roller

Low Roller

I suspect he would have been banned by the CTC if his nads were still intact.

Top Bottom