Nasty Dogs ( and bitches)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Low Roller

Low Roller

I'd like to point out that even though the guy on the bike saw the pack of dogs early on he continued to cycle towards them.
After reading many journals on crazyguyonabike from people touring Greece, the Balkans, Bulgaria or Romania, it really is not all that common. And that guy riding claims he is also a farmer and has dogs. He had also passed earlier a pack of 10 dogs without any problems.
If you start worrying about dogs, drunk drivers, thieves, psychopaths, etc... than stay home where its safe.
We had a dog scare in 2013 while riding along the Maas river in France, only one (huge) dog, but it caught us by surprise and we didn't have our pepper-spray handy, we were just happy the owner was nearby and called it off before it reached us. Needless to say we got the spray cans out but didn't have any more problems. Also in 2007 we got robbed in Parga, Greece, it did not put us off and we plan a tour of northern Greece in the future, it really is a beautiful country.
If you check out crazyguyonabike Greece you'll find a couple real nice tours like this one http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=Sh&doc_id=13470&v=D7
Dog attacks can happen anywhere with some horrific consequences, just ask SatNavSaysStraightOn.

My friend Stelios would agree with this.

Crankarm

Guru
Buy a fire extinguisher for a car. Honestly officer, I'm camping so need it in case the tent catches fire.
Were you to be attacked by a dog, a quick squirt would do the trick.....

Or WD40 and a lighter …………………….

Crankarm

Guru
I remember seeing this clip awhile back and thought it relevant. I can see why the cyclist was annoyed.

View: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pLi4619vwAU

If you look on Youtube for Dogs attacking cyclists. I think there may be some tips.

Liquid lemon a water pistol is a good deterrent.

I hate dogs. I wouldn't have slowed down but sped up. The cyclist said he was a cop, he obviously wasn't as he would have got 50 of his cops mates to raid the farm and take away the dogs. I hope he went to the cops with the footage as those dogs were dangerous. Quite a few instances in US where on very hot days dogs in packs turn into hunting dogs and will chase and tear a quarry to shreds.

Should have carried a couple of cats as dogs hate cats.

KneesUp

Guru
Some interesting posts here - I have to say that having my car chased by viscous dogs twice on the sort of Welsh roads that would seem ideal for cycling on has put me off somewhat. It's surprising how long a dog will chase a car for.

The dog from over the road used to escape occasionally when I was a kid and chase us in the garden - being growled at and chased by a dog almost as tall as you puts you off the wretched things somewhat. I was told that, if I ever were attacked, that if you pull a dogs front legs apart sideways it's (relatively) easy to immobilise them - is that true? Touch wood I've not been bitten by a dog for over 30 years ...

Alun

Guru
Guy Martin on the TV last night related the tale of one pioneering endurance rider back in the day, who used to carry a gun during his rides in case he was attacked by dogs. On one ride he shot 5 of them. Times have changed though, I don't think that would be acceptable these days!

KneesUp

Guru
Guy Martin on the TV last night related the tale of one pioneering endurance rider back in the day, who used to carry a gun during his rides in case he was attacked by dogs. On one ride he shot 5 of them. Times have changed though, I don't think that would be acceptable these days!
I wouldn't carry a gun, but if a dog was attacking me (i.e. actually trying to hurt me) I wouldn't hesitate to try and hurt it in return. I'm not Dr Doolittle, they don't listen to me.

On this year's Asia trip, a squirt from the water bottle did the trick. Except we needed our water. So we all found a nice whippy stick to carry around on our bikes, and waved those at the dogs while screaming like lunatics. It scared the life out of the dogs (or at least confused them enough to slow them down a little) and amused the locals.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's

Just needs a bit of imagination, maybe some hydraulic skewer attachments that, with the press of a handlebar button, deploy chariot style scythe blades each side front and rear.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Me and Mrs rp were chased by 6 or so gigantic, fierce dogs who bounded towards us over a field in a remote part of highland N Spain.
We were seriously terrified and there is no way a squirt from a bottle would have put off these Baskervilles. If we hadn't been on a downhill stretch and managed to just outride them on full gas, I dread to think what would have been the outcome.

How do you cope with these when you are touring?

I am hoping that by inviting comments I don’t attract the moderators attention. I merely throw the stone in the pond and watch the ripples. ( A little like that thread about gurus !)

Respect for your bravery in returning to the topic of your banishment by what sound like frothing at the mouth rabid mods.

A useful post/thread.

It's a real problem in some parts I know - a few terrible stories from Sicily for instance.

Thanks again - am off to read the thread.

Crankarm

Guru

Yeah I saw this and laughed. Maybe carrying a gun back in the day in other countries or even now might legal, but not in the UK, plus you might get the owners come after you shooting in retaliation. Swinging an Abus X-Plus D-lock should suffice although this might be too heavy to carry it would certainly make any dangerous mutt see stars.

Top Bottom