Nearly taken out by Sportive nutcases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
What is that thing I used to check my engine oil level called.^_^

Your chauffeur?

GC

Hip Priest

Veteran
I think the point was , when a mate shouts clear he / she means it as they quite like your company on a ride . If a random stranger or your wife shouts clear its probably better to check for yourself .

Well, duh.

But if it turns out they're wrong, I can't sue them. And the poster claimed specifically that you could sue a ride leader through their BC insurance, which I felt was a point worth challenging.

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Clear is only clear when the ride leader enters the junction/turn. That doesn't mean it's clear when you get there 20 bikes later.

I'd never trust a passenger in my car to tell me the road is clear.. It's not their car wrecked or insurance claimed off!

It was the same, when there was the (supporting) sportive, with the 'Tour de Yorkshire'
I rode up, from the (Wakefield) start on Sunday, to watch the climb of East Chevin, heading up through Leeds, past Yeadon Airport (Leeds-Bradford), & got caught up in it, as they turned down Harrogate Road, towards the cross-roads with Leeds Road (A660), towards Poole-in-Wharfedale

It was scary, bikes overtaking on both sides, over-taking cars downhill on double solid whites!!
I'll hazard a guess that the traffic-lights on the cross-roads at the Dyneley Arms weren't treated correctly by quite a few
I was extremely happy, & relieved, to turn left towards Otley

The Chimps in the old PG Tips adverts were far better riders than some I saw

What I saw, even in that one case, could make a case for limiting numbers/sanctions on Sportives, if seen by a Senior Police Officer, or local MP

sidevalve

Über Member
Just goes to prove there are total dicks in and on every form of transport and dumb ass boy [and girl] racers aren't confined to cars
One point though - suing is all very well if you aint dead

Pope

Regular
as a non-driver but frequent passenger, it baffles me when the driver asks me if it's clear.... "you're driving... you tell me!"

If you're in the passenger seat, you're blocking the view to the left, as the driver looks through the window next to your head to see what's coming.

Top Bottom