Nearly taken out by Sportive nutcases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
If you're in the passenger seat, you're blocking the view to the left, as the driver looks through the window next to your head to see what's coming.
then it's up to the driver to move their head in order to see for themselves... they are after all in control of the vehicle. Most drivers don't rely on passenger information (IME), it's the few that do who worry me.

winjim

Smash the cistern
If you're in the passenger seat, you're blocking the view to the left, as the driver looks through the window next to your head to see what's coming.
"Will you please just move your head back a touch?"

Easy.

Pope

Regular
then it's up to the driver to move their head in order to see for themselves... they are after all in control of the vehicle. Most drivers don't rely on passenger information (IME), it's the few that do who worry me.

It's being helpful as a passenger, there's no problem with that
When I'm a passenger, I let the driver know if the way is clear. When someone does the same for me, I acknowledge what they say but check for myself as I'm pulling out with caution. I hope this is okay for you.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
When I'm a passenger, I let the driver know if the way is clear. When someone does the same for me, I acknowledge what they say but check for myself as I'm pulling out with caution. I hope this is okay for you.
that's fine... the driver is not relying on 3rd party info. :smile:

snorri

Legendary Member
When I'm a passenger, I let the driver know if the way is clear. .

AAargh!:evil: I have one occasional passenger like that, a driving enthusiast who blocks my view at every junction by leaning forward and peering left, thus delaying safe progress.
I don't know how he thinks I manage when driving solo.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
AAargh!:evil: I have one occasional passenger like that, a driving enthusiast who blocks my view at every junction by leaning forward and peering left, thus delaying safe progress.
I don't know how he thinks I manage when driving solo.

my dad always did that - and on his one and only ride with me as a motorcycle pillion did a lot of leaning the wrong way too

blazed

220lb+
my dad always did that - and on his one and only ride with me as a motorcycle pillion did a lot of leaning the wrong way too

That would of pissed me off. I think I would of timed it so he leaned the wrong way into a lampost.

Boom, inheritance!

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
My wife and I were merrily driving along behind a sportive a month or so ago. We were being patient, waiting for a safe place to overtake, and indeed chatting about how it must be nice to cycle in a group occasionally; eventually our left turn came up and we hadn't managed to overtake so we started slowing for the turn when some stupid nobber on a carbon bike came zooming up the inside of our car while we were indicating to turn left. There followed a hurried application of brakes and some choice words from Mrs cisamcgu (who very rarely swears) - he, the cyclist, didn't even seem to notice that he had almost been squished flat and carried on pedalling with his head down after his friends in the group ahead. Complete pillock and no doubt the cause of many a frustrated driver further along the road. :cursing:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They really ought to design motor vehicles so that the driver has an unobstructed view of the world around them - this should be fixed before someone is killed, possibly the driver. ;)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
This thread reminded me of the following advice ........;)

How to stay safe around Sportivists. A Guide

We want cyclists to stay safe when cycling near other vehicles, especially larger ones, like sportive riders. The safety advice is simple, “Stay safe, stay away”.

The “Stay safe, stay away” advice applies to cyclists when cycling near to moving Sportive riders or approaching any stationary Sportivists on the road, at junctions, traffic lights, on climbs or at feed stations. It's important to stay out of the risk zone and get into a position where the sportive rider can see you over their Garmin.

Follow our tips below to find out how to protect yourself.Safety tips

Cycle sensibly and assertively to help yourself. Stay safe, especially at traffic lights, junctions, corners, straight roads, climbs, descents, and anywhere that might be a Strava segment.

* Recognise that sportive riders may not be able to see you, and are often oblivious to your presence.

*Never cycle up the left side of a sportivist riding in the middle of the road.

*Look out for sportive riders wandering left or right for no reason in front of you.

*If a rider comes up behind you, move forward enough merely to ensure you are in the sportivist’s field of vision and in no way to try and drop them.

*In front of a Sportive rider is often the safest place to be. When you need to overtake a large sportivist, do so on the right-hand side at speed, so that the rider can’t keep up with you.Be Aware

The risk zone area can be the full length and width of the road, with the sportivist unable to see anyone cycling beside them on the left, or the right.

*Both new and experienced cyclists have been hurt in collisions with sportivists. This often happens when a sportive rider veers left to stop on a climb, to look at the view, to take off his gilet, to put on his arm-warmers or turn into a feed zone, hitting innocent cyclists on the nearside.

*Don't assume any large gap between sportivists is safe. When veering across the road for no reason large riders often wobble over to the right before they swing sharply across to the left to stop.

*Don't risk your life by trying to pass sportive riders when they are stopped at junctions, they may simply be confused by the event direction arrows and could suddenly turn either left or right. Wait until they have moved on, and turn the other way.

“Stay safe, stay away” is dedicated to reducing sportivists danger to cyclists through the use of awareness and reliability trials.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It was the same, when there was the (supporting) sportive, with the 'Tour de Yorkshire'
I rode up, from the (Wakefield) start on Sunday, to watch the climb of East Chevin, heading up through Leeds, past Yeadon Airport (Leeds-Bradford), & got caught up in it, as they turned down Harrogate Road, towards the cross-roads with Leeds Road (A660), towards Poole-in-Wharfedale

It was scary, bikes overtaking on both sides, over-taking cars downhill on double solid whites!!
I'll hazard a guess that the traffic-lights on the cross-roads at the Dyneley Arms weren't treated correctly by quite a few
I was extremely happy, & relieved, to turn left towards Otley

The Chimps in the old PG Tips adverts were far better riders than some I saw

What I saw, even in that one case, could make a case for limiting numbers/sanctions on Sportives, if seen by a Senior Police Officer, or local MP
INDEED! :eek:

Top Bottom