Nearly taken out by Sportive nutcases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've seen some Strava segments that cross quite tricky junctions. The sort of junctions where you need to make a full and proper assessment before moving out. I don't know why people set them up.
Because it's the only way they are ever going to be a 'KOM'. Not only pathetic, but asking for trouble as well:rolleyes:.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
True.

It's the minority that tarnish the rep of sportives.
False.

It's the failure of both sportive organisers and traffic police to enforce their rules and traffic laws that tarnish the rep of sportives.

It's the mob mentality. You get the same with groups of motorcyclists and crowds on their way to a football match. The "Safety in numbers" attitude kicks in and people think they can do what they like.

I stopped riding sportives because I found them embarrassing.

I find (with exceptions for the unprecedented closed road specials) they are just massively cringey. Definitely not for me.

mjr

People cycling two or three abreast with a car waiting to pass behind them gets on my t*ts, especially when the cyclists just look at you like you are a complete moron when you point this out to you.
Well, you are being a complete moron if the road's not wide enough to overtake without changing lanes, aren't you? If they ride single file, it just doubles (or worse) the length you've got to overtake when the oncoming lane is clear.

Worse, some drivers take it as a signal to try to overtake without changing lane and anything oncoming usually results in a cyclist in the verge, at best. I've seen it happen. Unless it's clear or a wide road, it's better to stay in a car-like shape, like cars do.

If you're trying to tell cyclists to put themselves in danger, then well done, yet another cycling group who might now be pi**ed off at motorists. Well done!

"massively cringey." I do not understand.
As one example, I was riding a route, which took me through a section of the new forest. I stopped at a cafe, en route. A sportive appeared on the bit of the road I was on. A couple of 'Warriors' pulled into the side of the road where I was stood locking my bike up. One (fully TDF Maillot Jaune'd up) had a puncture. He asked if he could use my pump. I let him have the pump. He pipes up "nah mate that's a f*****g Zefel pump" "I'll wait until someone with a proper pump turns up". Righto :laugh:. Then his buddy pointed out that he didn't think he had enough gels to get him to the end, and asked if I had any going spare. "No" was my answer. Massive cringe fest right there.

mjr

"massively cringey." I do not understand.
I'll give you another two examples. One, the plethora of fake "team kits" for groups that aren't racing clubs and many of which can't ride well (overlapping wheels, passing on the left, swamping, wobbling, no signals...) but good luck reporting them because they'll have their (usually similar) numbers partly obscured. It's amazing how they always seem to have a light or a garmin or unused device mount in the way of their number. It's like they know they're going to ride like a nob :rolleyes:

Two, seeing two riders standing on the verge, one wheel out, bathed in dry ice with one rider dancing around. I think they may have not used a CO2 inflater before, not used the cartridge jacket, frozen a finger to it and then partially unscrewed the inflater and released the rest of the cartridge. Oh well, a first aider was in sight behind...

I'm not surprised if these events are being left to nobbers. The organisers seem happy to take the short term money.

I'll give you another two examples. One, the plethora of fake "team kits" for groups that aren't racing clubs and many of which can't ride well (overlapping wheels, passing on the left, swamping, wobbling, no signals...) but good luck reporting them because they'll have their (usually similar) numbers partly obscured. It's amazing how they always seem to have a light or a garmin or unused device mount in the way of their number. It's like they know they're going to ride like a nob :rolleyes:

Two, seeing two riders standing on the verge, one wheel out, bathed in dry ice with one rider dancing around. I think they may have not used a CO2 inflater before, not used the cartridge jacket, frozen a finger to it and then partially unscrewed the inflater and released the rest of the cartridge. Oh well, a first aider was in sight behind...

I'm not surprised if these events are being left to nobbers. The organisers seem happy to take the short term money.
I understand completely what you are saying and, yes, these instances are embarrassing to witness.
I have only cycled three sportives, so very limited experience, but I have found that the vast majority were just out for the challenge and/or an enjoyable ride, often in an unfamiliar location.

JMAG

Über Member
I have found that the vast majority were just out for the challenge and/or an enjoyable ride, often in an unfamiliar location.

I can do this if I turn right at the top of the road instead of left :biggrin:

I have to admit I don't see the allure of sportives nor paying to ride my bike. I ride with a small local group, usually just 5 or 6 us with a coffee stop and a good chat.

I can do this if I turn right at the top of the road instead of left :biggrin:

I have to admit I don't see the allure of sportives nor paying to ride my bike. I ride with a small local group, usually just 5 or 6 us with a coffee stop and a good chat.
I think sportives are probably the new Marmite!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Two, seeing two riders standing on the verge, one wheel out, bathed in dry ice with one rider dancing around. I think they may have not used a CO2 inflater before, not used the cartridge jacket, frozen a finger to it and then partially unscrewed the inflater and released the rest of the cartridge.
I have a CO2 inflator (irresistable Aldi bargain) in my toolkit. I've never used it - and if I ever do I fear that a situation like the one above may arise.

On a more general point - I can't see what on earth is wrong with "pretend racing". What's wrong with a bit of escapism? Behaving dangerously like a silly bugger - I don't approve of that. But pretend racing? Why ever not?

Pope

Regular
As one example, I was riding a route, which took me through a section of the new forest. I stopped at a cafe, en route. A sportive appeared on the bit of the road I was on. A couple of 'Warriors' pulled into the side of the road where I was stood locking my bike up. One (fully TDF Maillot Jaune'd up) had a puncture. He asked if he could use my pump. I let him have the pump. He pipes up "nah mate that's a f*****g Zefel pump" "I'll wait until someone with a proper pump turns up". Righto :laugh:. Then his buddy pointed out that he didn't think he had enough gels to get him to the end, and asked if I had any going spare. "No" was my answer. Massive cringe fest right there.

I think cringeworthy is too kind for the person who declined your pump. "Arrogant, ungrateful daffodil"

Last edited by a moderator:
I think "cringeworthy" is too kind for the person who considered your pump unworthy of him. "Arrogant, ungrateful t**t" would be far more appropriate.

The best thing about it is, that it's a brilliant little pump, equally as good as a "proper pump":laugh:

dodgy

Sportive: A ride where riders pretend to race
Audax: A ride where riders pretend not to race

Funny old world.

Top Bottom