Need help with a bike buying decision and the stores sale pricing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midibiker

Hi, what are your views on this?

I am looking to buy a new bike in the sales, and the shop has two that I am interested in.
The first is a recent 2024 bike, and the other is a 2022 bike. They are both great bikes and are priced about the same.

I am using Cyclescheme to purchase either, and this means that the shop will add a surcharge to the sale price—roughly 10% of the bike's value.

The 2022 bike is essentially NEW OLD STOCK and it has been priced comparably to the 2024 bike.

That means if I walk out of the store with the 2022 bike, I would be paying the sale price for the bike, plus the surcharge for purchasing it through the cyclescheme, for a bike that is 2.2 years old. Or I could be pay roughly the same price, plus the surcharge and get the 2024 bike with 2024 components.

I am a bit peeved what do you think I should do.

Try and see if they can discount the 2022 bike some more.
See if they can waiver the surcharge on the 2022 bike.
Just accept it and enjoy the 2022 bike.
Purchase the 2024 bike but it's my second choice.
Or just ask for my deposit back and walk away.

Thanks

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
2yr old components is hardly going back to the stone age, which is the better bike?

OP
OP
M

midibiker

2yr old components is hardly going back to the stone age, which is the better bike?

No it's not going back to the stone age.
I would say the 2024 bike is the better one because it has the latest components and a bit more tech.
For example the crank on the the 2022 model is no longer in production or being sold on SRAMs website.

It kind of feels like going into a phone store and being sold a new iPhone 6, when you can get an iPhone 8 for around same price that is slightly better on paper.

But you prefer the style of the iPhone 6 if that makes sense.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member

This. If you prefer the 2022 model, get that one. It’ll have the same warranty and possibly better components and colour.
It’s just been in a box for 2 years. 2025 models will be out in a few months, so the 2024 may also have been hanging around a while.
You’re making the saving through C2W so just get your bike asap and enjoy your summer commutes

OP
OP
M

midibiker

^^^ wot they said. Buy the better bike. Very few people will judge you for not having this year's model and if they do they aren't worth knowing imho.

TBH I don't think 90% of bikers would know much about the bike let alone the age.
But it's the principle if you see what I mean.
I know, and when you are paying good money for something, you want the best deal you can get, and you don't want to be paying the same amount, or more for less.

OP
OP
M

midibiker

This. If you prefer the 2022 model, get that one. It’ll have the same warranty and possibly better components and colour.
It’s just been in a box for 2 years. 2025 models will be out in a few months, so the 2024 may also have been hanging around a while.
You’re making the saving through C2W so just get your bike asap and enjoy your summer commutes

Yes, it's been sitting in the box for 2.2 years and the 2024 bike for around under 14 months.
The 2024 list price is actually greater than the 2022 bike but the sale prices are around the same give of take about £100.

I am getting it through the C2W scheme and I will make some good savings there. But the 10% surcharge being applied to the deal by the shop is a bit of a kick in the teeth, although they have capped it at a maximum of £300. Which helps to lessen the blow a bit.

OP
OP
M

midibiker

Buy the one in the nicest colour scheme.

I wish it was that easy but they are both dark carbon grey and not much colour to them.
That's the problem with most of the bikes of today.
You don't appear to get the choice of colours like the bikes of yesterday.

vickster

Legendary Member
There’s every chance that the 2022 bike is slight better specced as it’s not unusual to see the manufacturer save costs in some areas to maintain the same price point. Impossible to say though in this case without knowing which two bikes they are.

I’ve bought two bikes over the years and never paid a surcharge on the sale price. Is this something new?

No, just depends on the retailer. Some have charged a surcharge on C2W to minimise their outlay taking the scheme

Top Bottom