Need some statistics >sources< please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad at urage

I have seen (on this forum?) quotes that something like 85% of adult cyclists are car drivers and the relative likelyhood of car drivers vs cyclists causing serious injury. I need a source for these: Can anyone point me to them?

OP
OP
M

Mad at urage

74.6% of all statistics are made up on the spot
And not wanting to appear to be doing that is why I asked for sources.

So what's the source of your 74.6% then?

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
And not wanting to appear to be doing that is why I asked for sources.

So what's the source of your 74.6% then?

Vic Reeves. :whistle:

I tried to find out similar info recently but got stuck. I also tried to find out a total population of road using cyclists in the UK that were adult. The closest I got for that was some info on the CTC site.

With the 85% I too heard this back in the late 90s, early 2000s. I started repeating this myself but have cooled off as I cant substantiate that one either. :wacko:

mark barker

Probably not the kind of stats you're looking for, but made interesting reading none the less..

Stats...

I'm not much of a statistician, but I get the impression that they suggest that mile for mile a cyclist is more likely to cause a fatal accident than a car driver!

OP
OP
M

Mad at urage

Probably not the kind of stats you're looking for, but made interesting reading none the less..

Stats...

I'm not much of a statistician, but I get the impression that they suggest that mile for mile a cyclist is more likely to cause a fatal accident than a car driver!
Not sure where you get that from, the linked table shows injuries and deaths caused to pedestrians (only) over a period of 10 years ('98 - '07); it does not purport to show the numbers of fatal vehicular accidents, nor the number killed in vehicular accidents in those years. The figures are:

Pedestrians killed by collision with cyclist: 0 to 5 per year, average 2.9
Pedestrians seriously injured by collision with cyclist: 45 to 72 per year, average 55.5
Pedestrian injury numbers total (including above) from collision with cyclist: 225 to 346 per year, average 262.3

Pedestrians killed by collision with car: 433 - 673 per year, average 530.5
Pedestrians seriously injured by collision with car:5064 - 8063 per year, average 6298.8
Pedestrian injury numbers total (including above) from collision with car: 24169 - 37367 per year, average 30426.9

Now, to get the "mile for mile" statistics you'd need the actual numbers of miles traveled by cars and cyclists per year and these are not in the link (I'm not sure they are available, at least for cyclists). Then there is the bias that will result from the fact that an enormous proportion of car miles are on roads where pedestrians are not allowed (so that a "mile for mile" comparison is invalid on those grounds alone).

mark barker

As I said, I'm no statistician, but I interpreted the figures in the same way that you did. Average number of deaths to pedestrians caused by cyclist over the period is almost 3 a year. Over the same period 530 caused by cars. So 177 times more likely to be killed by car than a bike. So I guess that leaves the question of relevant miles covered and vehicles to be counted. I don't know about your area, but around here I'd suggest that the ratio of 177/1 sounds a bit high, but I'd also guess that theres far more miles covered by cars (even excluding motorways) than there are covered by bikes. Obviously this is just my "gut feeling", and I have no evidence other than what I see whilst out and about.

Davidc

Guru
Some stats on attitudes to using bikes in here (download the pdf and you get the white paper).

2009 figures from Dft for Reported Road Casualties Great Britain 2009

Same thing 2008

2010 not published yet

The stats you've actually asked for are somewhere on the DfT or ONS web sites but I don't know where.

sheddy

Legendary Member

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

Stats...

I'm not sure i believe that over a 10 year period, 29 pedestrians killed by cyclists.

Does anyone have any information to back these stats up?

Davidc

Guru
Those figures are the ones presented tp parliament gaz, so the origin is probably DfT or if not them it's ONS.

Any deaths from vehicle collisions are deplorable, but 3 per year isn't many. It'd be interesting to know what sorts of injries were involved, the age of those killed, and whether the cyclits involved were riding illegally on pavements.

Top Bottom