Nervous

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member

ChrisKH

Guru
Well done Alex.

I have a very bright niece who desperately wants to be a Paramedic (age 19) but has been told to re-apply in a year as she isn't mature enough. She has tried various ways in and is a member of the St John's Ambulance brigade.

Any tips? She lives in Bromley, South East London. Bike paramedic would be even better as she is sports mad. Opted for a sports science degree last year when her Paramedic dream fell through but her heart isn't in it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ChrisKH said:
Well done Alex.

I have a very bright niece who desperately wants to be a Paramedic (age 19) but has been told to re-apply in a year as she isn't mature enough. She has tried various ways in and is a member of the St John's Ambulance brigade.

Any tips? She lives in Bromley, South East London. Bike paramedic would be even better as she is sports mad. Opted for a sports science degree last year when her Paramedic dream fell through but her heart isn't in it.

I have no professional advice, but can only say hang on and stick to it, and spend the intervening time either doing something constructive, or just earning a bit of money. I'm sure she is suitable, but I think I might baulk a bit at a 19 year old turning up to an emergency. I'd assume that paramedic is once of those jobs you can turn to at any age, and that the more life experience you have, the better.

My godmother's grandson is apparently going to Uni in Bristol to train/study for paramedic, was that an option she looked at?

ChrisKH

Guru
Arch said:
I have no professional advice, but can only say hang on and stick to it, and spend the intervening time either doing something constructive, or just earning a bit of money. I'm sure she is suitable, but I think I might baulk a bit at a 19 year old turning up to an emergency. I'd assume that paramedic is once of those jobs you can turn to at any age, and that the more life experience you have, the better.

My godmother's grandson is apparently going to Uni in Bristol to train/study for paramedic, was that an option she looked at?

To tell the truth Arch, I don't know. She got four very good A-levels. Maybe it was oversubscribed? I will of course pass this possible route on. Thanks.

OP
OP
TWBNK

TWBNK

The university route is the main way now, two year foundation degree or a three year degree -there are many universities that run the courses now

The individual ambulance services may have a way of doing it in house which is likely to be long winded but paid. There is an NHS jobs website and Trainee Paramedic is the one to look out for.

With the younger people though there is a lot to contend with, the weight of the vehicles means that some services require C1 on the driving license, which obviously costs.

OP
OP
TWBNK

TWBNK

Well, We have just got back, very tired from a course in York.

3669434490_3b71ccb107_m.jpg
3668616021_bfe131860e_m.jpg

After a while they let us out of the cone box and into York. A really enjoyable, brilliant course. Riding up and down steps (only a few) with a full load, a few trips around the city - it was nice the amount of time spent chatting to people, the bikes are a real conversation starter.

I am now waiting for the uniform to come through and once it does I am just waiting for the first chance to work the bikes. Just a shame that it doesn't look like it will be too often :sad:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Why won't you get the chance very often? What will determine how often you are out on the bike? (By the way that looks difficult with the laden bikes - did they also through in some council barriers that they have on cycle paths that you won't be able to fit through?:sad:)

OP
OP
TWBNK

TWBNK

:sad: Yes they did.

Fortunately they thought to include a tool kit in one if the panniers and the front racks weren't all that hard to straighten up.

As for the shifts on the bike, hopefully the more staff that available, the more they will use them. But there aren't many at the moment around here.

OP
OP
TWBNK

TWBNK

They 'made' us simulate a response run through a pedestrian area of York for part of the assessment - the bikes come with blue lights and sirens and we had to use them.

There was a mixture of laughter, amazement from the tourists and the general population of York not batting an eyelid. Certainly a strange experience.
I might try the sirens if I work Chester, but for Liverpool I think I might just try the bell.

Apparently there are fire bikes in some places so it might be an idea.

Top Bottom