New Boardman CX for commuting / winter miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darcy

POB
Had mine for about 7 months, absolutely love it!

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Are they really that good? I've always been put off by the fact that halfords sell them!

I don't think I've heard a bad word about them, well apart from the bad batch of BB30 bearings some were shipped with. I love mine now it's running smooth again, they really are a great bike for the price.

I just look at Halfords as a retailer for the Boardman range, you don't have to have them service it, just buy from there and set it up at home :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
Matt, I agree with Norman on this one. Mine won't touch halfords for servicing, I will either do it myself or get my local mobile guy to do stuff.

It will go back in the event of any warranty issues but touch wood I won't get any!

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
It's looks a nice spec. What's the SRAM stuff like? I've never experienced it

I like it Matt, maybe not as refined as Shimano 105 I've had in the past but I prefer the double tap system and the ease of use from the hoods and the drops. I have SRAM on my best bike (although The groupset up from the CX) so am used to it already.

If chain reaction can sort their problems out and ever ship my order for tyres and mudguards I might be able to get on and ride it on my commute!!

2PedalsTez

Über Member
Have to say that I really like the look of this bike.
Out of curiosity, would this bike be suitable as a tourer?

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
I'm finally ready to go now my bits are fitted!

Charge Spoon, schwalbe marathon racer (700 x 30) & SKS Bluemels plus topeak rack and bag. Plus a proper pump as I got fed up of mini ones that just don't work! I'm pleased with the result, especially the guards which I got fitted nice and close, have left off the end caps for now in case I need to adjust slightly.

3ddbf0b9.jpg

jamin100

Guru
Nice.
One other thing I have done is to add a little electrical tape on the front fork where the cables will eventually rub the paint away.
If you use black tape its hardly noticable

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
Nice.
One other thing I have done is to add a little electrical tape on the front fork where the cables will eventually rub the paint away.
If you use black tape its hardly noticable

Thanks for the reminder jammin, I have done just that on my "best bike" but had forgotten on this one!

theloafer

Legendary Member
Have to say that I really like the look of this bike.
Out of curiosity, would this bike be suitable as a tourer?

it would seem so 2pedals.. a friend got one after seeing mine and has lowered the gearing for fully loaded touring going to look at it will get some pics to he sent me this e-mail

Hi Larry,i know what you mean about old legs HA HA.I wanted a much lower range of gears because i intend to use the bike for touring fully loaded but i may of gone a bit to far(time will tell)Tony,Clive Nunn and i are cycling up the west coast of scotland shortly so i decided to do something drastic to make life a bit easier.I changed the rear cassette to (12/36) and the front chainrings to (42/28) and so far it is working very well without any problems at all.I had a bit of difficulty finding the bits i needed to do the transformation but got there in the end.Should you want to have a look or indeed try it let me know and we can arrange a meet.

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
For one reason or another (mainly a very sick pregnant wife) today was my first proper ride on this (other than short stints for tweeking). Came into work on it and i'm impressed. Very comfortable and the tyres are also pretty quick, don't have an idea of my average speed as i forgot to charge the GPS but it didn't seem much slower than the best bike with 23c on.

My only thought at the moment is to possibly change the gearing as i spent the whole time on the big ring (unheard of for me....lol) but i'll give it a few weeks and enjoy it before doing anything ^_^

The brakes are ok but i'd imagine they need a bit of bedding in before reaching full stopping power!

Top Bottom