New Boardman CX for commuting / winter miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
Have to say that I really like the look of this bike.
Out of curiosity, would this bike be suitable as a tourer?
Definitely, I bought it to be (amongst other things) my touring bike. Did 600 miles around Ireland last May with no problems at all. Takes a full rack well - I had two full ortlieb panniers an ortlieb trunk bag (all full) plus a two man tent and a sleeping bag strapped to the tops of the panniers.You could barely lift the bike off the ground, but the Apex gearing still made the very long hard climbs in the south west manageable. I've got a charge spoon saddle on now. Wish I'd made that change before the tour, although the existing saddle isn't terrible. I wouldn't feel the need to go as far as the loafer and change all the gearing set up but that's very much personal preference. 34/32 should be the easiest I'll ever need even with all that weight.
The additional top bar brakes were very useful when riding laden which is another bonus.

lejogger

Guru
For one reason or another (mainly a very sick pregnant wife) today was my first proper ride on this (other than short stints for tweeking). Came into work on it and i'm impressed. Very comfortable and the tyres are also pretty quick, don't have an idea of my average speed as i forgot to charge the GPS but it didn't seem much slower than the best bike with 23c on.

My only thought at the moment is to possibly change the gearing as i spent the whole time on the big ring (unheard of for me....lol) but i'll give it a few weeks and enjoy it before doing anything ^_^

The brakes are ok but i'd imagine they need a bit of bedding in before reaching full stopping power!
With the Apex, I'd imagine you would find yourself in the big ring most of the time on flat or gentle rises and falls. Remember that it goes to 50/11 however which should be more than adequate for most people. You'll rarely spin out on the flat with that.
I tend to only find myself in the small chainring when climbing, and only the 3 biggest cassette cogs when either laden or going up something VERY steep. It may take a bit of getting used to if you don't run a compact on your other bike(s). I actually find it very useful to not need to be changing the front chainring every time you need to slow for lights etc.

Yes, the brakes can take a bit of time to bed in. I found that within a couple of hundred miles they got very squidgy and needed a fair bit of adjustment. You can take it into a bike shop, but I found it easier to learn how to do this myself as it will save you cash in the long run. There's loads of vids on youtube. A few guys on here have swapped to the BB7, but if properly set up I find the BB5 to be perfectly fine. It's just a lot harder to get them set up.

2PedalsTez

Über Member
Definitely, I bought it to be (amongst other things) my touring bike. Did 600 miles around Ireland last May with no problems at all. Takes a full rack well - I had two full ortlieb panniers an ortlieb trunk bag (all full) plus a two man tent and a sleeping bag strapped to the tops of the panniers.You could barely lift the bike off the ground, but the Apex gearing still made the very long hard climbs in the south west manageable. I've got a charge spoon saddle on now. Wish I'd made that change before the tour, although the existing saddle isn't terrible. I wouldn't feel the need to go as far as the loafer and change all the gearing set up but that's very much personal preference. 34/32 should be the easiest I'll ever need even with all that weight.
The additional top bar brakes were very useful when riding laden which is another bonus.

Thanks for that.. I have been considering doing some touring. I may need to sell one of my bikes to make room first though (And figure out a way of convincing my wife that 'I've had that bike ages, I just don't ride it much' :smile: )

theloafer

Legendary Member
mine still going well :thumbsup: ...but then its only been used to get me to work and back ....lost all interest in other cycling since my eye opp once that,s sorted will restart the cycling I hope.:ohmy:

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
Mine is fine, although being put up for sale as it's just too nice for what it's getting used for. I'm often asked to pop to the shops on the way home and have also lost my secure indoor parking at work so I have replaced it with a rebuilt ribble. Just do not want to leave it anywhere where it might be in the slightest bit vulnerable to being stolen!

No problems really since I've had it, had the BB stripped and regreased recently after it developed a tiny noise but other than that just general maintenance by me :-)

theloafer

Legendary Member
Mine is fine, although being put up for sale as it's just too nice for what it's getting used for. I'm often asked to pop to the shops on the way home and have also lost my secure indoor parking at work so I have replaced it with a rebuilt ribble. Just do not want to leave it anywhere where it might be in the slightest bit vulnerable to being stolen!

No problems really since I've had it, had the BB stripped and regreased recently after it developed a tiny noise but other than that just general maintenance by me :-)
hi mike........ that's what insurance is for all mine are covered and even my hand built made to measure tourer over £2000 get looked and left

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
hi mike........ that's what insurance is for all mine are covered and even my hand built made to measure tourer over £2000 get looked and left

Well our bike "sheds" are next to 40,000 gallons of diesel and often get visited by undesirables. Said people also drive right through the middle of our depot and load vans up with whatever they take a fancy to! Just don't need the hassle it would bring. Yes I have tried to get them moved / improved but it's not happening so I decided to reduce my chances by having something less flash :unsure:

lejogger

Guru
We're creeping up to nearly 6000 miles now. BB5 brakes are now BB7... cables are due to be replaced as soon as I can find some decent XL length brake ones.
Second cassette, 3rd chain, but have unfortunately snapped the right hand gear shifter. Bought some SRAM Red for the best bike and will be moving the Rival ones onto the CX. Moved the SRAM Rival front mech over too as the microshift one was very poor IMO.

I think I'll also be getting rid of the top bar brake levers when I re-cable too. They're fine, but i find myself reaching for them when on my other bike where they don't exist, and that's just dangerous!!!

It's a world away from the Team Carbon as a fast, light, super-enjoyable bike to ride, but for an everyday workhorse, commuter, winter trainer, tourer, I think it's brill :smile:

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Good morning everyone. New member here, so please be gentle. Slightly off topic for this thread, but the reason being is that Halfords is being mentioned. I have been rolling around the streets of London on an Alverstone MTB for a few months now. A little heavy for road riding but overall ok'ish. I am looking to buy a road bike next week. My budget is quite low (around £400) and I was looking at the Carrera Zelos by Halfords. Any thoughts or suggestions would be most gratefully appreciated. Great community BTW....

Still using my CX. Gets loads of abuse as it's my "all weathers" commuting bike and so far has handled everything thrown at it. Recently changed the tyres to Schwalbe CX's and have also replaced the god awful pads for some semi metallics from DiscoBrakes. No more squealing and they now work as intended!!

Top Bottom