New Boardman CX Team 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boris Bike

Nice one. I'm getting down to Halfords tonight to get myself sized :smile:
Oh my god. Bunch of bloody idiots in that shop. Bloke had no idea how to size me, he wheeled out a large frame and said I was that size. I'm pretty sure I'm not as the frame alone came up to my waste. Wouldn't trust them to put together a sandwich, let alone a bike. The guys in the Putney store seem to know what they're talking about, but unfortunetly it's only a metro so don't do the CX.

Tincaman - do you mine me asking how tall you are and what size you went for?

Alun

Guru
Now fitted Marathon Racers, but not ridden yet..........
Good choice! ;)

OP
OP
tincaman

tincaman

Guru
Oh my god. Bunch of bloody idiots in that shop. Bloke had no idea how to size me, he wheeled out a large frame and said I was that size. I'm pretty sure I'm not as the frame alone came up to my waste. Wouldn't trust them to put together a sandwich, let alone a bike. The guys in the Putney store seem to know what they're talking about, but unfortunetly it's only a metro so don't do the CX.

Having a Boardman already helps for sizing so I knew what I needed. I am 5-7 with 30" inside leg and went for medium

OP
OP
tincaman

tincaman

Guru
Good choice! ;)

15 miles in to work today, lovely morning, tyre were ace, very grippy, didn't feel heavy or sluggish.
IMAG0376.jpg

Garz

Squat Member
Having a Boardman already helps for sizing so I knew what I needed. I am 5-7 with 30" inside leg and went for medium

Yeah I agree. I am 5'6" with shade under 30" inside leg and have a small boardman (fit is ok). However I was measured up for my n+1 and was told as I have a long torso the medium was a better fit in the new frame (54").

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I am looking at on of these for a winter commuter, did you get a full mud guard set on? How are you getting on with the BB5? I had endless problems with 2009 BB5, once the rotor gets a few miles on it they warp a little and the static pad rubs, BB7 has two adjustable pads.

Its the only thing I do not like about the bike, that and hit and miss Halfords.

Also the BB30 need to be opened up and greased, this was confirmed by the local Halfords store, they had lots of returned bikes running the BB30, not just effecting Boardmans, but any bike fitted with a BB30.

The appeal is the brakes, my best bike is running 105 brakes and they fade on the steep hills in the wet, god knows what the crappy Canti's will be like, and almost 100% CX bikes seem to come with Canti's. Guessing alot of 2012 bikes will run discs now they are approved, Boardman ahead of the game again, along with Evans own brand Pinnacle.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Awesome bike. I have the 2010 team carbon .......................... race it, you'll have a blast
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
tincaman

tincaman

Guru
I am looking at on of these for a winter commuter, did you get a full mud guard set on? How are you getting on with the BB5? I had endless problems with 2009 BB5, once the rotor gets a few miles on it they warp a little and the static pad rubs, BB7 has two adjustable pads.

Its the only thing I do not like about the bike, that and hit and miss Halfords.

Also the BB30 need to be opened up and greased, this was confirmed by the local Halfords store, they had lots of returned bikes running the BB30, not just effecting Boardmans, but any bike fitted with a BB30.

The appeal is the brakes, my best bike is running 105 brakes and they fade on the steep hills in the wet, god knows what the crappy Canti's will be like, and almost 100% CX bikes seem to come with Canti's. Guessing alot of 2012 bikes will run discs now they are approved, Boardman ahead of the game again, along with Evans own brand Pinnacle.

I have some cheap mudguards on the way, will show when they come.
Isn't BB30 just a pair of sealed bearings, why would you grease them?

Dave W

Very nice i got the hybrid comp and love it, But please tell me what mud guards you fit as im struggling to find some that fit mine?? Grr

I've got some SKS on my Team Hybrid, they fit fine except for one bolt that was too short to go through the front fork. (30p from a hardware store).

From Wiggle

I went for the 35mm and they are great. It was torrential rain the other day and only my feet got wet because they needed a slight tweak.

Boris Bike

Quidco now at 4% for Halfords. Just ordered mine with 10% off plus the 4%. Comes in a a couple of pounds under £780 :smile:

Hope my pedals turn up soon - I'm going to have to put the mountain bike ones on there when I pick it up this evening.

Evil Rabbit

Don't bother with Chiswick they don't know the CX either. However, the guys at Twickenham were good, so I would go there if it is not too far.

PS: I am 5'11" and fit comfortable on the medium CX.

Top Bottom