New Fixie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 2735421, member: 1314"]You don't if there's a chance of pedal strike. innit[/quote]
Thanks User. You have no idea how helpful that is. :whistle:

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 2735445, member: 1314"]Tomorrow - how to unicycle through rush-hour London looking hot!.[/quote]
Wear more layers?

anothersam

SMIDSMe
So how do I filter next to a kerb on a fixie then??

Addressed upthread, but a sticking point for me as well. I would feel bereft without the ability to head for the most convenient clear channel in traffic. However, as there are many quite adept non-freewheelers who get along fine in the tight squeeze of the city, it behooves me (I've had horses on my mind today) to understand them.

So… I consider the fact that I am a vegan (or rather, that I eat like one. True vegans would kick me out for my leather shoes, among other transgressions.) Most omnivores and even vegetarians would find my diet limiting. I do not feel that I'm missing out. I'm quite happy with the wide range of food available to me. My life is full (as is, frequently, my stomach. Mmmm.) In this way do the empathetic neural pathways of my brain arrive at the conclusion that the fixed rider's is, too.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 2739774, member: 1314"]@martint235 take note of @anothersam 's wise words. Though upside-down he doth trot (horsey sic) out wisdoms of fine cycling philosophy urban type.[/quote]
I thought he was saying it's ok to freewheel!

And for what it's worth I am really enjoying a single speed freewheel as a commuter bike!

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 2739900, member: 1314"]Fixed, Martin, fixed.[/quote]
Told you, too many gaps I wouldn't be able to make on a fixed.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 2739913, member: 1314"]You're missing out on the zen. What's 10 mins on your commute? You go fixed you won't look back. And you save on the brake pads.[/quote]
10 mins is around 25% extra!!! I'll keep playing at fixed at the weekends but I'm not sure I'll ever be good enough to commute fixed.

zigzag

Veteran
i understand what CoG means by "zen" if we are talking about smooth, gently rolling traffic free roads - riding fixed is a pleasure and fun on such roads. but if we talk about average london commute, potholed and congested streets - where's "zen" in that?..

D

Deleted member 1258

i understand what CoG means by "zen" if we are talking about smooth, gently rolling traffic free roads - riding fixed is a pleasure and fun on such roads. but if we talk about average london commute, potholed and congested streets - where's "zen" in that?..

I've been commuting fixed for over six years now, it always puts a smile on my face.

rb58

Enigma
Martin - I find fixed commuting makes me more aware of the conditions and helps me anticipate what others are going to do (or not do). I think this is a good thing. And I worry that if you're finding there isn't enough room to filter without fear of pedal strike, then there probably isn't enough room to filter at all and you are putting yourself at risk irrespective of your steed (doubly so as you mention buses).

D

Deleted member 1258

Martin - I find fixed commuting makes me more aware of the conditions and helps me anticipate what others are going to do (or not do). I think this is a good thing. And I worry that if you're finding there isn't enough room to filter without fear of pedal strike, then there probably isn't enough room to filter at all and you are putting yourself at risk irrespective of your steed (doubly so as you mention buses).

I rarely filter on the left, I'll filter right or stay in the traffic most of the time, in 2005 I was filtering down the left side of a line of stationary traffic and got taken out by a car turning right through the traffic, since then I've almost stopped filtering on the left.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I rarely filter on the left, I'll filter right or stay in the traffic most of the time, in 2005 I was filtering down the left side of a line of stationary traffic and got taken out by a car turning right through the traffic, since then I've almost stopped filtering on the left.
Buses make it impossible to filter down the centre as there are cars parked on one side of the road. There's room to filter slowly and carefully cos I do but there isn't enough room to pedal a full revolution. If I didn't filter that bit of road it would add around 5-10 mins cos of the temp traffic lights at the end of it.

D

Deleted member 1258

Buses make it impossible to filter down the centre as there are cars parked on one side of the road. There's room to filter slowly and carefully cos I do but there isn't enough room to pedal a full revolution. If I didn't filter that bit of road it would add around 5-10 mins cos of the temp traffic lights at the end of it.

If the space isn't wide enough to pedal you shouldn't be using it, I wont use a gap that narrow, personally I'd take the extra 5-10 minutes on the trip for the duration of the temporary lights.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
If the space isn't wide enough to pedal you shouldn't be using it, I wont use a gap that narrow, personally I'd take the extra 5-10 minutes on the trip for the duration of the temporary lights.
I don't see the risk. It's stationary traffic that really isn't going anywhere so filtering down it at 5mph (if that) is relatively safe so long as you're not on a fixie.
2742596 said:
Don't LCC have some wiggly back roads route to take? It would probably add twice as much but at least you could fix your broken bike.

Don't know. It's on the run into Norwood over Goat House Bridge.

Top Bottom