Emigration

If you had the opportunity to emigrate would you do it?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
They are ridiculously expensive to keep in the SE. One of ours came from Epsom (travellers), the other came from a place about 15 miles east of Guilford. (horse dealer) for £750, the other was £350.

You couldn't get a good Carbon bike for what they collectively cost to buy. Most of my horse widget customers are just ducking and diving to making it happen and they are all over the world.

Put it this way, most of the locals I meet on the lanes ride horses rather than bikes for recreation. Don't think I could afford a horse.

My beloved has a horse. It's a frequent topic as to who spends more on their passion. The truth is, it's a wash. If you want to do something in a way that it gives meaning to your life, then the funds are the last thing. A lot of horse owners are no more wealthy than a lot of cyclists. They just like horses.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
If you want to do something in a way that it gives meaning to your life, then the funds are the last thing. A lot of horse owners are no more wealthy than a lot of cyclists. They just like horses.

Agreed! Truth is, I could probably afford a horse if I sold my ti.

For a long time I was afraid of horses, after one tried to bite me. I don't know if he was hungry. Now we get along fine except when I walk across the fields with a bag and they start following me....
snowhorse.jpg

Last edited:

VamP

Banned
I find it extremely easy to spend on bikes as well.. :cuppa:

Too true, too true.

However, with horses there is the emotional factor of welfare of a loved animal, which is much harder to deny than the reasonably selfish urge to get new wheels, or anodized skewers.

Plus an expensive bike is 10k, and expensive horse is several million. A bike roof rack is a few hundred, an eventing lorry is 100k... and so it goes on. ;)

Linford

It's ironic that such an expensive animal is seen as vermin in parts of Australia where they have gone wild.

I got the impression that Aussies regarded everything they were't breeding for the table as vermin.

Ours were very cheap to buy.. Their value is determined by their ability..or potential ability.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My Uncle owns a farm in the Gower (born and bred landowners stretching back hundreds of years), and was quite upset with the way the nationalists were treating the English back int he early 80's. I recall a conversation he had with his mate in front of me when it was reported on the TV.

I have great deal of respect for the Welsh. They have been nothing but friendly and helpful and are more than ready to stop and have a chin wag. This is a great country to live in. Cant praise the country or the people enough. God awful language though.

Linford

I have great deal of respect for the Welsh. They have been nothing but friendly and helpful and are more than ready to stop and have a chin wag. This is a great country to live in. Cant praise the country or the people enough. God awful language though.

When my mum and my generation were growing up, they were all given English names like Brian, Dennis, Christopher, Catherine, Anne, my generations kids in Swansea are all now all called names like Osian, Cerys, Rhys....all proper Welsh Wales names.
I guess they thought that the Welsh names would hold them back and stigmatise them.

Sara_H

Guru
Already have emigrated ... twice!
Once by force (my parents moved me from Germany to Italy in primary school age) second time, to Scotland, by choice.
Will probably emigrate again to a warmer country at some time in the future or maybe spend half of the year abroad if I can't afford the heating bills anymore :sad:
Are you German Pat? When I first read your posts I thought of you having a glaswegian accent, then italian and now german. I can't keep up!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Are you German Pat? When I first read your posts I thought of you having a glaswegian accent, then italian and now german. I can't keep up!
When I speak English, I have an Italian accent.
When I speak Italian I have a German accent - well, used to, hardly speak Italian anymore.
Last summer I was visiting relatives in Germany, they kept making fun of me, when I was substituting English for the German words I forgot: they were laughing at my strong Scottish accent :unsure:

ShipHill

I was having a chat during a very bad snowstorm with someone I knew through work many years ago and they said something like

"Ooh I'm fed up with this weather. I'm going to emigrate."
"Me too," I said/lied.
"Where would you go?" they asked.
I said the first country that came into my head. "Uruguay."
They said, "Don't be silly. Don't make countries up."

And they were serious.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Top Bottom