New member ..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Hi Stuart. You're doing great.:dance: Good to hear that the weight is coming off. Well done. Keep it nice and steady and try not to rush the progress. Listen to your body.
Above all enjoy yourself. The twang might have been a bit of road debris hitting the spokes. Happy cycling.^_^

Aahh good point, the lanes I am on do have a lot of loose stuff on them, mostly used by farm vehicles which is why my speed is not great, lost of ruts and potholes... only did it once.. :smile:

I must say I never thought I would say I enjoy riding early mornings, quiet, no traffic and great views around here.... will keep going each weekend and gym ion the week, soon reach my 10 stone loss, only 2.5 stone to go or there about's :smile:

snorri

Legendary Member
Welcome back Stuart:smile:.
As others have said, don't worry about times or distance, lots of short trips are the way to go as your fitness builds up.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

That's a superb effort, give yourself a BIG pat on the back!

Been a long "slog" including about 18 months when I did not really try, but being Type 2 diabetic and the last check up showed one reading had increased I thought "sod this" time to get my backside in gear again and get back to the gym 4 days a week to get that down and stop me having to take another tablet on top of the 4 I already take each day... done it before and managed to control it with diet and exercise... and then in some mad few minutes I thought "buy a bike" !! That will give me a couple more days of fresh air and additional exercise...

Being told by your Doctor that your lowest blood pressure reading is 190/140 after taking it about 6 times and then him saying "Well Stuart as of now you have two choices, lose it or die!" and you are "very close to a stroke or heart attack" sort of terrified me... but it was the best scare of my life, I actually did something about it and went from 27 stone to 21 stone, and blood pressure is now normal with the help of loosing the weight and 3 tablets... :smile:

I have gone from a 6XL to XL, maybe 2XL in clothes depending were I buy from and from a 46 inch waist to a 40 inch...

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Been a long "slog" including about 18 months when I did not really try, but being Type 2 diabetic and the last check up showed one reading had increased I thought "sod this" time to get my backside in gear again and get back to the gym 4 days a week to get that down and stop me having to take another tablet on top of the 4 I already take each day... done it before and managed to control it with diet and exercise... and then in some mad few minutes I thought "buy a bike" !! That will give me a couple more days of fresh air and additional exercise...

Being told by your Doctor that your lowest blood pressure reading is 190/140 after taking it about 6 times and then him saying "Well Stuart as of now you have two choices, lose it or die!" and you are "very close to a stroke or heart attack" sort of terrified me... but it was the best scare of my life, I actually did something about it and went from 27 stone to 21 stone, and blood pressure is now normal with the help of loosing the weight and 3 tablets... :smile:

I have gone from a 6XL to XL, maybe 2XL in clothes depending were I buy from and from a 46 inch waist to a 40 inch...
Well done mate, that's a great effort.

(BTW, it's good to see you back :okay:)

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Well, day two... and did the same route.... no idea why the distance is different today lol almost 11 miles over two days, not a massive amount but not bad for me... still can't get to grips with the gears and keep screwing up causing me to stop lol ...

On a plus I have mastered them on one hill and I now get up that, just need to get to grips with them...

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/1598497657/embed/ae6bd88a3afe91045a8fed78e4b8d548e996f231

Booked in for it's free check up for the 20th July back at Evans, I have notice the wheels seem to have a slight wobble, think the front was my fault when I caught a rut on the first day out, but noticed today the rear has a very slight bump... not sure if that is because of my weight, still too big for the bike, the state of the lanes I use or both... the weight bit I am sorting, and seems to be going OK :smile: roads I have no control over lol

Will get them to sort it when it goes in... not major but you do notice a "bump" if you spin the wheels... :sad:

On a plus... I enjoy it, nice this morning, no traffic and loads of rabbits to watch... :smile: Joys of living in the country...

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
Go back earlier if the wheels aren't true.

How do you handle the bike? Do you go round obstacles/standing up and absorbing the bump if you can see one coming or are you more like a sack of potatoes (sorry, can't think of a more polite phrase)? That will affect the longevity of your wheels and the bike as a whole.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Go back earlier if the wheels aren't true.

How do you handle the bike? Do you go round obstacles/standing up and absorbing the bump if you can see one coming or are you more like a sack of potatoes (sorry, can't think of a more polite phrase)? That will affect the longevity of your wheels and the bike as a whole.

I only use the bike at weekends I go to the gym after work in the week and that time frame includes two weeks I will be away, so it will only do around 50/60 miles or so in the remaining time as I say it is not a major deflection in the tyre/wheel, just very slight and I suspect the front is my fault when I caught the bloody rut in a newbie pilot error :sad: ... rear is even less of a deflection ... If it gets worse I will go back earlier ;)

That is a perfect way to put it, simple terms lol .... I am the "sack of potatoes" I stay on the seat, I suppose I think I am too heavy at the moment to stand up, but I do avoid 99% of them,steering around them apart from the odd bump which go right across... Doing the same route i am getting to know were they are lol

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
Sounds like you are heading in the right direction, in all senses of the phrase. ^_^

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Hope so. think I am still very paranoid knowing I am technically too heavy for the bike with what the manufactures state, so it is always in my mind "the thing is going to break!" ... distance and speed to go up..... weight to come down :smile: good plan to me.... oh and get more confident and master the gears, only 30 to choose from so I can get out on better roads and tackle traffic..

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Result! I have done what I wanted and done the same route 3 times over the weekend.... 16.5 miles over 3 days and only my 2nd week on a bike
1f642.png

Getting more confident and stable so soon be on better and longer routes with traffic....

Oh and almost a 1000 extra calories burnt over the weekend....

Keep going...

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/1600958273/embed/aaf7d396c1803e9073640545329f6850ccde7624

And the views ain't bad either..... apart from the hill I have to walk up lol

Biker Joe

Über Member
Result! I have done what I wanted and done the same route 3 times over the weekend.... 16.5 miles over 3 days and only my 2nd week on a bike View attachment 411414

Getting more confident and stable so soon be on better and longer routes with traffic....

Oh and almost a 1000 extra calories burnt over the weekend....

Keep going...

View: https://www.strava.com/activities/1600958273/embed/aaf7d396c1803e9073640545329f6850ccde7624

And the views ain't bad either..... apart from the hill I have to walk up lol

That's a good result. You are doing well. Nice pics.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

It is a nice area to live, I have been out 3 days and all I have seen is 3 cars, 1 motorbike and 12 rabbits lol .... well nice in the summer, but a bit of a pain when it snows and we get cut off lol ...

Top Bottom