New (OLD) toys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My son has been mithering for me to get my old Tonka's from my folks - well here they are, a bit rusty (authentic look), well played with and at least 35 years old...and they still work........

Son and daughter have been playing all afternoon with them.......:wacko:

DSCF2559.jpg

TVC

OH! OH! I used to have the yellow crane truck..... ah nostalgia.

That's a fine collection Fossy.

On a similar theme, I'm delighted to say that my Scalextric, (30-35 years old) is still being played with by my nephews sons. Even the cars are still going strong to the point where the tyres are now just nicely bedded in.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

I used to have the dump truck - but that was battered (by me) - wheels split you name it - played to death.... my son want's us to get the new version...... only £26 but I doubt they are as well made.

I am tempted to re-furb them, but what do you lot think - they work, only surface rust - really look like site equipment......

PS still have my Scalextric - that's 36 years old and less - lots of cars - but son will get them as he get's bigger - we don't have room - he has a fair few Carrera cars/tracks........ my Scalextric was last out of the box 9 years ago for my 30th.......(with drunk drivers) might come out again for my 40th....

Night Train

Maker of Things
fossyant said:
I used to have the dump truck - but that was battered (by me) - wheels split you name it - played to death.... my son want's us to get the new version...... only £26 but I doubt they are as well made.

I am tempted to re-furb them, but what do you lot think - they work, only surface rust - really look like site equipment......
New ones are rubbish, you couldn't put one under a car wheel and drive it around like they did with the old dump truck in the adverts.

I think it is worth reconditioning them. My Dad did with some of his.

Mr Pig

The Velvet Curtain said:
OH! OH! I used to have the yellow crane truck..... ah nostalgia.

I had a very similar one and a dumper truck. Played for hours in the dirt with them, back when kids were allowed to touch dirt! ;0) Kills modern kids or something, I don't know, but they can't go near the stuff for some reason.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Well...very tempted to just say dig with them... the kids won't think the vehicles are any better with paint......

Toys are to be played with - out of the folks garage, WD40'ed and washed off - played with within 30 mins....no faffing..... ;)..............

The kids want to bring them in the house...erm...garage....where my rather nice bikes are resided - not even they get house treatment these days !:rolleyes:

We've hung on to a load of old toys of our own and our children's, partly because they enjoyed playing with them when they were young and partly because (who knows?) they might see some use if grandchildren ever come along.

On the subject of 'toys are to be played with', I find couldn't agree more. Looking on Ebay, a lot of old toys seem to be falling into the 'collectors' market now.

One regret I have is letting all my Action Man stuff go as a teenager when we moved house. The modern Action Man is quite different in construction and 'theme'. Mine were very WW2 oriented. I've discovered that they were re-released for the 40th anniversary a few years ago, but the cost in a boxed set with a uniform has shot up to around £40 each. Not what I call pocket money prices!

tyred

Legendary Member
I have lots of old toys from my childhood. Many of those were passed down from older relatives so some are quite old. My pride and joy is up in the attic somewhere at home and is a model of a VW Beetle from the 1950s. It's a quality, heavy metal object, about 12" long and has working lights. It should move but the motor no longer seems to work. I intend to fix it someday.

had a tonka dumptruck which i used to get sat in and tipped out of on a regular basis :blush:

got my lego out at the weekend and my fiancee and i built stuff :ohmy:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
A few years ago I got my crate of numerous lego bits down from the loft and it is great to see it played with as it was 20 years ago.

The scalextrix is due to be fazed in out of hibernation next year :blush:

Mr Pig

All of my Action Men died in battle. Good against the Hun but sod all use against a golf club! ;0)

Things our kids have that I'll never sell; Brio wooden railway and my daughter's doll's house. Got tons of Playmobil too but I'm not very attached to that.

Top Bottom