New PB!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
ilovebikes said:
out of interest do you take off saddle bag when TT'ing and do you carry any water?

On my TT bike, theres no saddle bag or bottle cage.
For 10miles, i dont bother with a drink, i drink before i go and put that and anything else i wont need(like saddle bag if im on a road bike) in the timers car or wherever you can safe.
If i did a 20 or somewhere around there, then i would put a bottle cage on the TT bike, but i wouldnt fill it!

iLB

Hello there
Joe24 said:
On my TT bike, theres no saddle bag or bottle cage.
For 10miles, i dont bother with a drink, i drink before i go and put that and anything else i wont need(like saddle bag if im on a road bike) in the timers car or wherever you can safe.
If i did a 20 or somewhere around there, then i would put a bottle cage on the TT bike, but i wouldnt fill it!

yer thought nt, i leave the saddle bag at home and carry woteva i havnt drunk before i go off, but obviously don't have time to drink on the go...

Will1985

Über Member
You don't need a bottle for a 10. It is still worth carrying puncture repair stuff as nobody will come and pick you up until the end if you are lucky. Aerodynamics behind the seatpost don't matter much anyway.

I take one full bottle for a 25 - there is an argument that a bottle on the bike will be more beneficial than one without but I can't remember why!

Joe24

ilovebikes said:
yer thought nt, i leave the saddle bag at home and carry woteva i havnt drunk before i go off, but obviously don't have time to drink on the go...

Just put your bottle in the timers car. I used to take off the bottle cage and carry the bottle down in a jersey pocket.
I put my bottle in my jersey pocket so i can still drink on the way down, then just put it in the timers car.
All the weight adds up!
I had a post on about what i did as a sort of piss take. I taped up the gear cables to be aero aswell;)

Joe24

Domtyles told me about the bottle helping, someting about that then breaking the wind for the rest of that bit of the bike or something:wacko:
Theres some articles he linked me to aswell

iLB

Hello there
Joe24 said:
Domtyles told me about the bottle helping, someting about that then breaking the wind for the rest of that bit of the bike or something:wacko:
Theres some articles he linked me to aswell

yer i heard them saying that during the ToC TT's guys carrying empty bottles and the like

Chrisz

Über Member
I only ever used to carry a bottle (behind the saddle) and a repair kit for 50s. 10s and 25s were done as 'clean' as possible.

Only ever came a cropper when I got a rear puncture at the turn on a 25 (disc + tub) and once when I caught a bee with my mouth (got stung on the tongue, swallowed the little bugger and nearly chocked myself!!) :biggrin:

montage

God Almighty
Chrisz said:
I only ever used to carry a bottle (behind the saddle) and a repair kit for 50s. 10s and 25s were done as 'clean' as possible.

Only ever came a cropper when I got a rear puncture at the turn on a 25 (disc + tub) and once when I caught a bee with my mouth (got stung on the tongue, swallowed the little bugger and nearly chocked myself!!) :tongue:

Must have been quite a buzz.

I punctured and hit airborn poultry on a 10km TT

Chrisz

Über Member
montage said:
Must have been quite a buzz.

I punctured and hit airborn poultry on a 10km TT

Free protein :tongue:

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
Chrisz said:
If you're hitting mid-25s now then a sub-25 by the end of the year is easily within your grasp mate :smile:

What I actually meant was a 25 mile TT next ? :biggrin:

There is a club 25 later in the year. I did it last year and finished last - by miles too :biggrin: but hey I had only been cycling for a couple of months! I felt like death at the end.

I have only ridden my club's 10 which has 8 junctions (a bitch because run a single speed) and is apparently a very slow course but tonight I'm going to do another 10 in Crawley which is a pretty straight forward out and back affair so I may be able to get under 25 mins. I'd be chuffed - considering how hungover I am. (getting the excuses in early)

Also, can someone tell me what this talk of inches is when discussing single speeds? How do I work mine out? (fnarr fnarr) I have a 42 tooth turning a 16 tooth.

Joe24

Brahan said:
There is a club 25 later in the year. I did it last year and finished last - by miles too :biggrin: but hey I had only been cycling for a couple of months! I felt like death at the end.

I have only ridden my club's 10 which has 8 junctions (a bitch because run a single speed) and is apparently a very slow course but tonight I'm going to do another 10 in Crawley which is a pretty straight forward out and back affair so I may be able to get under 25 mins. I'd be chuffed - considering how hungover I am. (getting the excuses in early)

Also, can someone tell me what this talk of inches is when discussing single speeds? How do I work mine out? (fnarr fnarr) I have a 42 tooth turning a 16 tooth.

You have a 70" gear on.
How you work it out is do the front tooth amount(chainring) divided by the sprocket tooth amount, then times that by the wheel size in inches.
Up your gear abit!!
I ride fixed for everything, and for TTs i had a gear of 79" on a slightly hilly course. Im now riding a gear on 94" on the bike, but its a proper TT bike thats fixed.
You either want a 14t on there to give you about a 81" gear, or a 13 to give you about an 87" gear.
Just because you havent got gears doesnt mean your slow!! I come 4th in my evening 10s on my fixed TT bike, beating about 10 or more people who all ride with gears.
To get faster though i would up your gear size.
Oh, and ever thought about riding fixed instead? You might find your faster on fixed.

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
Cheers mate. I made a mistake though - the front is 52 not 42 which would make it 87".

I really want a proper TT bike. I've just stuck aero bars onto an old steel thing that I bought for a tenner, this is prooving to be the butt of all the jokes in the club, a constant piss take infact, so tonight will be funny rocking up to a new club on it.

Yeah, I'm thinking about fixed but I'm just trying out single speed for a while. Well I say single, the fact is I still have the full cassette on but it does the job.

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
Here's the bike I use for TTs.

I did a new 10 course last night and managed a 22:53 which I'm delighted with.

rm4202.jpg

Joe24

Brahan said:
Here's the bike I use for TTs.

I did a new 10 course last night and managed a 22:53 which I'm delighted with.

rm4202.jpg

That is a lovely bike:thumbsup:;):thumbsup:
Make it a fixed, get used to it and se if it takes any time off. It might do.
22:53 is also a very good time:becool:

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
I was spinning out last night and could have done with another gear (down hill) TBH but I think I would really struggle on the slight inclines if it was a fixed with a 15 or a 14 at the back. I need to get the fitness up a bit and lose some weight.

Top Bottom