New road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colin-java

Regular
Hi, I've been interested in getting a Cannondale Synapse 105 Disk Alloy bike for a while,
Since its supposed to be quite sportive and more comfortable for longer rides.
The price has just come down from £1000 to £850, so it seems it might be worth getting now.

Here is the link.. http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/18050/cannondale-synapse-105-5-disc-racing-road-bike-2015

I was just curious though what makes it the price it is.
The price of components, like rear casette and rear derailleur doesn't seem to seem to add to much.
Its not a carbon frame, so the frame can't cost that much, so what makes it £1000, I don't really know what the other components cost to be honest, but it seems like it shouldn't cost that much when you break it down.

Thanks for any input.

vickster

Legendary Member
You won't be able to build it for that however. You'd be surprised how much all the parts add up too, bars, stem, seat post, wheels, tyres, brakes, cables, bartape, bottom bracket etc... If you were to self build - a new 105 groupset isn't far off £300 to buy, add a couple of hundred for wheels tyres and tubes, £100 for the bars etc, same for the brakes. A few hundred for frame and forks. Then you need to build it. But I'm not sure Cannondale offer that frame and forks for self build

If you think it's too expensive buy a different bike :smile: paulscycles have deals on older models of Cannondale for example

Leisure lakes might be part of Quidco, could get you a couple of percent cash back

Crandoggler

I'm a firm believer that the cycling companies spend a fortune on advertising, and make that up with their own branded items, obviously.

So, to that end. Planet X, Ribble and Dolan get my vote. They obviously work on small margins, and for that, I believe you get a superior spec bike for less.

You could probably build it for the same price, but it does seem a shame that a £1000 bike only has 105!

vickster

Legendary Member
Not sure if any have a 105 equipped road bike with discs though. Closest probably this, although SRAM (not that this is a bad thing, also you don't have to have it in black, also a very good thing ;) )

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV/planet-x-london-road-sram-rival-22-road-bike

It also has rather better brakes from what I know than the Cannondale

Cannondale give lifetime warranty on their frames, the above don't. If that's a consideration for you. Also if buying locally you should get a 6 week check over for free which also may or may not be desirable

Crandoggler

I'm so sold on SRAM it's unreal!

Yeah I know what you mean, you don't get a free service and you don't get the warranty... Shame really! But they have to make their money somewhere.

OP
OP
C

colin-java

Regular
Okay, is the synapse a good bike you think, for the money? I heard it was one of the best bikes this year.
I think I would be going with aluminium and 105 though as I'm new to road bikes.

Crandoggler

Just looked at the spec of that bike.

Personally, I think there's a lot better for the money. Is there any reason you want disc brakes?

You could save a further £100 and buy a B'twin equivalent. Lifetime warranty and some very good components. Planet X London road bike is also a lot better spec for the money, but without the kind of warranty. I think it comes down to whether you want the cannondale, or you want that kind of spec.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Also consider the Giant Defy 1. It doesn't have disc brakes, but unless you're riding in the wet a lot, it's not that big a deal.

The Synapse is very well regarded though and, having seen one up close, I like it a lot.

OP
OP
C

colin-java

Regular
Just looked at the spec of that bike.

Personally, I think there's a lot better for the money. Is there any reason you want disc brakes?

You could save a further £100 and buy a B'twin equivalent. Lifetime warranty and some very good components. Planet X London road bike is also a lot better spec for the money, but without the kind of warranty. I think it comes down to whether you want the cannondale, or you want that kind of spec.
I'm not that fussed particularly about the brakes, but I would like to sit on the bike that I'm going to buy before I buy it.

The planet X bike looks nice, but the welding looks a bit dodgy http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV/planet-x-london-road-sram-rival-22-road-bike, I donno if its meant to look like that.
I donno if SRAM 22 Rival is better than 105, either.
But I can get the canonndale for £830, so thats kinda the same price.

I would have to look at the BTwin as well.

Crandoggler

Maybe have a look at the pro carbon 105. It's £799

Rival is inbetween 105 and ultegra, gusting Ultegra more than 105. the mechanism is as good as SRAM's top of the range stuff, just quality of materials are not quite as good.

You're only getting 105 shifters, chain, cassette and dérailleurs on the cannondale. The rest is other branded items. Not bad, but not a full groupset.

I don't want to sound like I'm putting you off the cannondale, as I'm sure it's excellent, I just like to sum things up. But on a purely spec basis. It's not as good. Obviously cannondale will make every effort to create pretty welding.

B'twin - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-700-af-road-bike-105-id_8324331.html

MikeW-71

Veteran
Welding on the PX is fine, that's how it normally looks unless they go to the effort of smoothing them, which adds production time and cost to the frame. Cannondale have smoothed the welds that's all.

OP
OP
C

colin-java

Regular
Maybe have a look at the pro carbon 105. It's £799

Rival is inbetween 105 and ultegra, gusting Ultegra more than 105. the mechanism is as good as SRAM's top of the range stuff, just quality of materials are not quite as good.

You're only getting 105 shifters, chain, cassette and dérailleurs on the cannondale. The rest is other branded items. Not bad, but not a full groupset.

I don't want to sound like I'm putting you off the cannondale, as I'm sure it's excellent, I just like to sum things up. But on a purely spec basis. It's not as good. Obviously cannondale will make every effort to create pretty welding.

B'twin - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-700-af-road-bike-105-id_8324331.html

Ok thanks, the B'twin seems good value, you said "You're only getting 105 shifters, chain, cassette and dérailleurs on the cannondale. The rest is other branded items. Not bad, but not a full groupset."
Why isn't it a full groupset? what am I missing?

Tojo

Über Member
There are deals to be had out there if you look around and if you are patient and wait a bit longer the deals on 2015 bikes will be good as some manufacturers are just starting to bring out their 2016 bikes and what I am hearing everyone is looking to the new Tiagra groupset, and if that is right you may well pick up a 105 5800 2015 bike at a good price....:cuppa:

OP
OP
C

colin-java

Regular
There are deals to be had out there if you look around and if you are patient and wait a bit longer the deals on 2015 bikes will be good as some manufacturers are just starting to bring out their 2016 bikes and what I am hearing everyone is looking to the new Tiagra groupset, and if that is right you may well pick up a 105 5800 2015 bike at a good price....:cuppa:
Yes, thats what I've done... I wanted the Synapse, it was £1000. but I've waited a few months, and I can get it for £830 now, I'm just getting a few 2nd opinions before I splash out any cash.

Was just looking at this bike..

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4ammXqAa0A

Only £500 now on decathlon, but they don't have it in large or x-large, so kinda pointless.
It looks awesome though in the video.

Last edited:
Top Bottom