New road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JMAG

Über Member
Why isn't it a full groupset? what am I missing?

Chainset and brakes would normally complete the groupset except where disc brakes are spec'd so the Synapse is only really a chainset short of a full groupset.

This is partly what makes many Planet X bikes good value as you often get the full groupset at a lower price point. At the reduced price though, the Synapse is good value too and being your first road bike you probably wouldn't tell the difference between an FSA and 105 chainset.

vickster

Legendary Member
Planet X have shops, where in the country are you?

Crandoggler

B'Twin's are fantastic value. Not quite as good as Planet X, but not bad at all. You'll find all the quality of cannondale and no fuss warranty with decathlon too.

Even their wheels are copies of Mavic Aksium's. Something you're not getting on the cannondale.

vickster

Legendary Member
Good for a day trip to Planet X in Sheffield then ;) don't think they open on Sunday

Given wheels are said to be the weak point of a decathlon bike, they can't be great copies

Cyclist33

Good for a day trip to Planet X in Sheffield then ;) don't think they open on Sunday

Given wheels are said to be the weak point of a decathlon bike, they can't be great copies

Said by whom, of which wheels? Plus at least one of their models actually specs with Mavic wheels (Aksiums) not a "copy" (which I don't think B'Twin wheels are anyway).

Providing advice is always most welcome to those asking but it should be qualified by experience or research and at least be precise!

Wafer

Veteran
The Synapse is a lovely bike, not perfect but pretty good, lots of my thoughts and a few from some other in a thread here https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/my-new-synapse-disc.159106/

I paid nearer £1100 for last years model and I'm still happy with that price. I wasn't comfortable buying online and nowhere near PlanetX so some of the 'better value for money' options weren't viable. If you drop the discs there's more options out there but in terms of disc braked road bikes that aren't online only or only in stores in a couple of cities, I think you'll struggle finding options that are clearly better vfm.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm 10 miles south of wolverhampton, 15 miles west of birmingham.

I don't know much about wheels really, except they tend to be round, so thats another variable to consider.
Head to Evans in Birmingham and test ride the cannondale assuming they stock it. If they have your size in the warehouse, they'll get it in for a refundable deposit of £60 iirc. Then you just need photo I'd and a bank card for the actual ride. They'll price match leisure lakes from your first post. They do look to have limited sizes though. LL have no stock either so Evans won't match. Looks like you might be back to square one on that basis

http://www.evanscycles.com/products...esvaid=50080&gclid=CMGIh-SJkscCFQb4wgodPa4FvA

Saluki

World class procrastinator

They used to open on a Sunday.

+1 here for Planet X @colin-java. I've got 2 PXs and I love them both. A lot. Great spec for the money and generally awesome bikes.

vickster

Legendary Member
@Saluki apologies must have been another retailer. I remember someone making a special journey without calling ahead and finding whoever it was closed!

OP
OP
C

colin-java

Regular
Head to Evans in Birmingham and test ride the cannondale assuming they stock it. If they have your size in the warehouse, they'll get it in for a refundable deposit of £60 iirc. Then you just need photo I'd and a bank card for the actual ride. They'll price match leisure lakes from your first post. They do look to have limited sizes though. LL have no stock either so Evans won't match. Looks like you might be back to square one on that basis

http://www.evanscycles.com/products...esvaid=50080&gclid=CMGIh-SJkscCFQb4wgodPa4FvA

Actually, I've already done that, I've got a code from Evans that price matches Leisurelakes 850.
But I also asked Leisurelakes, and they said I could use the £20 off £200 order coupon in store, which brings the price down to 830.

Of course I will have to buy some extra things like pedals, but I can resuse a lot of the things I've bought for mountain bike, which helps a bit.

Its a bit hard for me to get to sheffield, but I see they have some nice bikes.
I probably don't need carbon, any road bike will be easier to ride than my mountain bike.
I don't see many bikes with SRAM groupsets, I need to research it a bit more, but I would probably be happy with 105 still.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
@Saluki apologies must have been another retailer. I remember someone making a special journey without calling ahead and finding whoever it was closed!
Of course they might have gone on Easter Sunday, so they would be closed.
Sheffield Store is open every day, including Sunday. The Barnsley Store is open 6 days a week and closed all day Tuesday.:okay:

clivedb

Guru
Actually, I've already done that, I've got a code from Evans that price matches Leisurelakes 850.
But I also asked Leisurelakes, and they said I could use the £20 off £200 order coupon in store, which brings the price down to 830.

Of course I will have to buy some extra things like pedals, but I can resuse a lot of the things I've bought for mountain bike, which helps a bit.

Its a bit hard for me to get to sheffield, but I see they have some nice bikes.
I probably don't need carbon, any road bike will be easier to ride than my mountain bike.
I don't see many bikes with SRAM groupsets, I need to research it a bit more, but I would probably be happy with 105 still.

You will get a lot of advice on this sort of forum and often people are telling you that you should do what they have done. If it's your first road bike you really need to find a local dealer or two and get them to explain to you all the variables and what they mean. You also need to try a few bikes and see what suits you - this is tricky on a short ride but it's better than ordering something that you subsequently find is unsuitable. You may save some money by buying online from the likes of Planet X but all the people I know who have bought from them have had significant road experience so they know exactly what they want. The bike shops will obviously try to sell you what they have got, but if you go to a few you will begin to get a sense of what you can get for your money and what will suit you.

Top Bottom