My new Synapse disc!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wafer

Veteran
Was able to stop by LBS after work and pick up my new Cannondale Synapse 5 :smile:
Looking lovely even if it is mostly black!

14499085145_d5bd8a42ff_b.jpg New bike! by topcataj, on Flickr
14497895142_9951773ebf_b.jpg New bike! by topcataj, on Flickr

Took it out for a quick spin once I got home, first time on drops, first time without thumb shifters, fun but will take a little getting used to! The drops were fine but I kept getting myself muddled with the gears.
Only did 5 miles but it certainly felt quicker than my hybrid and a lot calmer over the bumpy roads, lots more confidence building up speed. Kept making me want to put in more effort, ended up giving myself stitch, lol, too much too soon!

Needs a bit of tinkering with the gears and brakes I think but pretty happy at the moment :wahhey:

SamR

Rider on the Lancastrian storm
Congrats! Keep us all informed how you find it long-term, myself included I'm sure quite a few people would be interested as both the non-disk and disk seem to be selling like hot cakes after the latter won all the awards.

OP
OP
Wafer

Wafer

Veteran
Should make it clear this is the alloy frame! Though I guess the discs should give that away.... It's more the carbon version that's been winning awards isn't it?
Few component changes aside from the obvious different material used for the frame and a couple of missing 'SAVE PLUS' features but should share some of the good points :smile:

Will see how I get on, not got a lot to compare it to. Just had a rather and abrupt end to playing club cricket so hoping cycling will fill the void.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Very nice, I was running my fingers over this very model in my LBS at lunch time- as it's on my C2W short list- keep us informed on your lovely looking ride!

OP
OP
Wafer

Wafer

Veteran
Done about 40 miles on the bike so far, feels good in general, still fiddling with the brakes to get them to feel right.
Last night I did a 15 mile route that was a similar length route I did on my hybrid a couple weeks ago and with similar height gain, finished up with a 1mph average speed improvement.

One main thought I have so far is that the bike is definitely lighter than my hybrid, it seems faster overall, but it almost feels a bit slow getting going. When moving it's great, feels like it thrives on moving and wants to do more of it.
It's probably a feeling that is relative to the hybrid, just feel like there's almost a bit of resistance there while it spins up whereas the hybrid might have a more consistent feel regardless of speed.

I'm guessing this could be because the wheels are relatively cheap and heavy compared to the rest of the bike and though there are limited options when it comes to replacement road wheels which support discs, I think it might be the main thing I'll have my eye on upgrading.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I tested the Synapse next to a Specialized Secteur and the Secteur felt a lot more urgent from a standstill, however I preferred how the Synapse climbed and figured I wasn't really sprinting that much anyway. I'm guessing it's a geometry thing.

OP
OP
Wafer

Wafer

Veteran
Ah maybe, I have no other road bike experience to compare to, just something I've noted compared to my Sirrus.
Have you got your fancy hand built wheels yet?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Not yet, due next week. We seem to be living the same life as my original bike was/is a Sirrus Elite Disk. The Synapse Disk has come in as the summer bike. The Synapse feels quicker over the ground than the Sirrus (I do have clipless on the Synapse although I'm not sure that makes much of a difference, oddly the cadence computer probably has more effect on a geeing me on basis) but the Sirrus doesn't feel like a slow bike and I'm still happy to swap between them. I believe the Sirrus shares a lot of design features with Specialized road bikes.

OP
OP
Wafer

Wafer

Veteran
Yeah, I've got a base model Sirrus, feels all the bumps, very glad of the carbon forks on the Synapse! I'm hoping the new bike will be more than just a summer bike, else I could be shopping again in a few months... :biggrin:

Will be interested to see what you think with the new wheels, I could see myself either doing the same thing or getting the set from Merlin Cycles with Hope hubs and Mavic Open Pro rims or just getting a set of the Kinesis Crosslights depending on the price I think I can afford when I do it. If it's a noticeable difference it might be sooner rather than later!

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
You're right about the wheels as they seem sluggish due to being heavy and the cheapest componant on the bike. ASs well as this you may find that the disc brakes need slight adjustment as they could be slight 'rub' which will hold you back slightly.

I swapped out my wheels and the difference was amazing

OP
OP
Wafer

Wafer

Veteran
What wheels did you go for?
I've certainly been tweaking the brake adjustments to make sure there's no rub, front one is a bugger because I keep taking the front wheel off though...

Peteaud

Veteran
You're right about the wheels as they seem sluggish due to being heavy and the cheapest componant on the bike. ASs well as this you may find that the disc brakes need slight adjustment as they could be slight 'rub' which will hold you back slightly.

I swapped out my wheels and the difference was amazing

What wheels did you fit?

Top Bottom