New "Stay Back" sticker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garethgas

Not all London cyclists undertake moving large vehicles; or are we all credited with no sense because we live in London?

It seems this is the case doesn't it?
It only takes a few morons to tarnish a cyclist's reputation.

2014-07-14%2015.38.27.jpg

Garethgas

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/15/cycling-bike-accidents-study

Risky cycling IS NOT a significant causal factor in KSI RTCs.

So, your reaction to the stickers is exactly what they wanted, a lapse into knee-jerk victim-blaming.

Thick people see those stickers and think like you do;

"Undertaking is what's killing cyclists"

Except it isn't.

So, let me get this straight here...
You've stumbled across a Government study that goes against every human instinct and decided to
regurgitate it here?
My reaction is one of despair, not knee jerk.
Who the hell blamed any victim? We're talking about a sticker that implies the driver is absolved of his responsibilities.
Thick? I think I'll leave others to read this thread and decide for themselves. You clearly have neither read or understood it.
Do you always base your views on some obscure studies?
Do you have an opinion of your own on the matter of the sticker? If so, what is it?
Have you read my previous post on this subject?
Do you agree/disagree with what I wrote?
Do you think it's wise to claim 'risky' riding is ok because it doesn't contribute to an accident, especially considering the less experienced
and younger readers of this forum?

C

Care to explain that ludicrous comment?

Risky cycling causes hardly any KSI RTCS. If you disagree then show me your evidence. This isn't condoning risky or illegal cycling, don't be daft, it's simply stating a fact.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Catriona Patel was drunk and chatting on a mobile.

The lorry driver who killed Eilidh Cairns had faulty eyesight (the police didn't even bother to discover this until the same driver killed another woman.)

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Brian Dorling turned across his path.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Svetlana Tereschenko was in an unsafe lorry, failing to indicate and chatting on a mobile. The police decided to charge him with..nothing.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Deep Lee failed to notice her and smashed into her from behind.

The lorry driver that killed cyclist Andrew McNicoll failed to notice him and side swiped him.

The lorry driver that killed cyclist Daniel Cox was in a truck which did not have the correct mirrors and whose driver had pulled into the ASL on a red light and was indicating in the opposite direction to which he turned.

Can you explain why you think it's 'ludicrous' to point out that, despite these stupid stickers, cyclists are NOT the unwitting agents of their own demise?

Garethgas

Risky cycling causes hardly any KSI RTCS. If you disagree then show me your evidence. This isn't condoning risky or illegal cycling,

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Catriona Patel was drunk and chatting on a mobile.

The lorry driver who killed Eilidh Cairns had faulty eyesight (the police didn't even bother to discover this until the same driver killed another woman.)

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Brian Dorling turned across his path.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Svetlana Tereschenko was in an unsafe lorry, failing to indicate and chatting on a mobile. The police decided to charge him with..nothing.

The lorry driver who killed cyclist Deep Lee failed to notice her and smashed into her from behind.

The lorry driver that killed cyclist Andrew McNicoll failed to notice him and side swiped him.

The lorry driver that killed cyclist Daniel Cox was in a truck which did not have the correct mirrors and whose driver had pulled into the ASL on a red light and was indicating in the opposite direction to which he turned.

Can you explain why you think it's 'ludicrous' to point out that, despite these stupid stickers, cyclists are NOT the unwitting agents of their own demise?

don't be daft, it's simply stating a fact.

You are NOT stating a fact, you are referring to one study. That's not a fact, it's lame evidence at best and you base your views solely on that. Don't you have any cycling experience to draw on?
Do you cycle though red lights?
Why not?
Do you ride up the inside of a lorry at a junction?
Why not?
Do you ride the wrong way up a one way street?
Why not?
The list of accidents you supplied is nothing more than page filling.
No. That's not what you said, and it's not what I responded to.
I think it's ludicrous that you said that riding in a risky manner does not contribute to accidents, especially considering the cross section of ability and experience on here.
You have not read my previous post (despite a reminder) and now you try and claim that I think that cyclists are "NOT the unwitting agents of their own demise"
You also deliberately started your posting here with a one liner to see who would challenge your view...except it's not YOUR view is it?
It's just some wishy washy study, nothing more.
Now that you've been challenged, you have nothing other than that link to back it up. You refuse/failure to answer any of my questions speaks volumes, choosing instead to ask me questions in a rather embarrassing attempt to put me on the back foot.
I will not be put on the defensive when I'm not the one who's made such outrageous claims. It is YOU who needs to justify your position, not me.

If you disagree that risky cycling is a significant factor in KSI RTCs then feel free to post your evidence.

In what way do you think the study was flawed? It is a fact that risky, illegal or dangerous cycling is not a significant factor in KSI RTCs. You can cite contradictory evidence if you have any.

For instance, a full 25% of collisions involve the cyclist being rear ended. Stickers about hanging back are redundant, clearly.

I think it's ludicrous that you said that riding in a risky manner does not contribute to accidents,.

Except I didn't. It's extremely likely that riding in a risky manner contributes to accidents. But the cyclists who have been killed or seriously injured were NOT RIDING IN A RISKY MANNER. If you disagree then please post some evidence. Third time.

classic33

Leg End Member
I spotted this on a bus in Sheffield today, in fact all the First buses in Sheffield seem to have them. I don't think these are as offensive as some of the TFL ones, but I do think its interesting that the vehicle in the image is a lorry not a bus.
The vehicle I took the photo of also had a share the road logo on.
F29B27DC-D502-4F4B-BA22-16D5C169E858_zpsbtfhiqqt.png

EB1EF3F3-E0E8-4D6B-A1AF-1FEB1EB8B41A_zpswmxwcegq.png
Camera mounted at the top, in the centre, linked to a screen in the cab. Which the drivers are trained to use.

Top Bottom