New to cycling. Help were to by clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Depends on your budget. If you're poor like the rest of us, and want to get kitted out fairly quickly, dhb from Wiggle is good. And Aldi have kit in twice a year (brilliant base layers). Then you have your mid range brands like Gore and Altura, which are great quality, and I like Corinne Dennis. Then you go up another level to Assos and then the Armani of cycle clothing.... Rapha!
At the shop, Altura always feels ok but after using them they seem to fall apart. I like Gore stuff even though it costs more than I want to spend. Instead of Altura I prefer Endura.

One day (aka when I'm not fat) I'll try assos and rapha.

sisilisko

Regular
padded shorts are a must.. I have funkier ones, and the padding is amazing. ok they cost something in the region of £45
http://www.funkierbike.com/new/

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
My clothing is Bianchi and it's comfortable, but the only reason it's Bianchi is to match the bike which is also Bianchi. If it wasn't for the bike then I'd buy something cheaper and equally comfortable.

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
My clothing is Bianchi and it's comfortable, but the only reason it's Bianchi is to match the bike which is also Bianchi. If it wasn't for the bike then I'd buy something cheaper and equally comfortable.
doing the very same with my planetX and planetX clotching haha

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have stuff from all over.
Aldi, Lidl stuff lasted me a good 18 months, which is brilliant for the price point. The jerseys are still going strong but the chamois on the longs is past it's best, to say the least. Flat as a flat thing!!
Wiggle is great, Planet X is great too.

I have a pair of winter longs from Sports Direct and they are cheap and cheerful at £9.99 and they are fine. On their way to cycling clothing heaven very soon, I fear but I'll get another autumn out of them, I reckon. My Sports Direct baggy shorts for hot days on the local trails on my CX bike, are doing fine, my dayglo yellow long sleeved jersey from them is doing well too.

I find Go Outdoors a bit pricey for basic kit, if the budget is particularly tight.

I got a couple of retro jerseys off the back of our local market vintage stall. Biggest bargain of the year for me.

I have been known to try on kit at big bike shops and then buy stuff online, but that is a bit naughty. I feel that it's a bit naughty anyway.

Top Bottom