New tyres...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
I have Schwalbe Lugano PP 700x25c on my Cannondale, purchased at the start of the year. Before going out for a spin today, I noticed a rather serious gash in the rear tyre that obviously renders it useless - no idea how I got it tho.

However, should I replace both tyres so theres equal amount of tread or is that just plain daft. Also, any other recommendations for tyres, roughly in the same price range, I dont need super light-weight, fast as flip tyres!

potsy

Rambler
No need to replace both but some would say to put the new tyre on the front and switch your current front to the rear.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Lugano's are fine as daily use tyres; I get about 1000 commuting miles from each tyre on bad roads. New tyre on the front, old one on the back..

Just replace one, but buy a pair. They're under £20 a pair on eBay.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Also some people are very 'light users' of front tyres so that the tyre hardly wears and can end up degrading after a certain length of time (sidewall splits etc) so to get most use out of a front tyre its better to stick it on the back and put the new tyre on the front (I wouldn't swap them round though)

mustang1

Guru
No need to replace both but some would say to put the new tyre on the front and switch your current front to the rear.
I disagree... You should have the grippier tire in the back. The theory is with a less grippymtire in front, you are less likely to go into corners faster and the higher grip afforded by the rear tire will decrease chance of oversteer. A grippier front tire promotes turn-in at a higher speed and the rear tire is more likely to slide thus causing oversteer.

But, I guess its just bikes so probably doesn't matter anyway.

PS: op, yeah just change one tire. I used to be quite anal about these things and used to change both tires. Not needed.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I disagree... You should have the grippier tire in the back. The theory is with a less grippymtire in front, you are less likely to go into corners faster and the higher grip afforded by the rear tire will decrease chance of oversteer. A grippier front tire promotes turn-in at a higher speed and the rear tire is more likely to slide thus causing oversteer.

But, I guess its just bikes so probably doesn't matter anyway.

PS: op, yeah just change one tire. I used to be quite anal about these things and used to change both tires. Not needed.
Maybe --- but I'd put the the more worn tyre on the back, as I'd rather have a blowout or sudden deflation on the back than the front.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
OK - thanks for all the replies. I only use the bike for fun so wont be entering any races or the like but I do want to go as fast as possible (as cheaply as possible lol) I might try to upgrade the Luganos to something in the £20 ranger per tyre (see above comment!) so any recommendations appreciated

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yup you're right. Excellent point. I didn't think of that.
That's the whole reason, if you're buying a new undamaged tyre put it where it counts. The tyre that's OK but on the front may have been damaged but is still 'hanging on' so stick it on the back where it will (generally) wear out quicker.

zacklaws

Guru

If you've ever had a front wheel blowout. you'd soon change youre mind, I had two last year on fast decents and its more scarier than your front wheel slipping away, over 12 months on, fast decents still terrify me in case it happens. I have been using Conti 4000GP S and on the back get just over 3000 miles from new, and if I move a front to the back that was originnaly new, the mileage then goes up to 5000+ miles.

At the moment I have gone over to Maxxis Re-Fuse for winter based on recomendations and done about a 1000 miles on them and very impressed with them so far. If I get good mileage and they withstand punctures, then I will make them my all year round tyre. Rolling resistance is supposed to be not so good, but I notice no difference between my Conti's and the Maxiss and have no problem riding on fast club rides unlike some other winter tyres.

Top Bottom