Newbie from Bothwell Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blert596

Hi all,

Well after volunteering (or actually being volunteered) to do a Charity Cycle ride at work for Yorkhill Childrens Charity it was a case of get on a bike for the first time in 38 years since I had my Raleigh Chopper.

Never one to do things by halves I decided that I might as well get a bike and start doing some mileage. So at the grand age of 50 and 3 days I went out and got a Specialized Allez. And decided that training would consist of commuting in and out of work from Bothwell to Kelvingrove Park - which I now do 2-3 times a week. Its 10.5 miles each way which is (now) ok. :smile:

After the initial pain I've decided I actually enjoy it a fair bit. So much so that I've been going out on my own rides and managed to do a 33 mile non stop ride the other day which I was quite chuffed with.

http://www.strava.com/activities/84159162

My ambitions have now sort of changed from "just get through this event" to "I really really want to do a couple of sportives eventually" and I'd love to be able do a 100 miler at some stage.

Anyway, been reading through lots of threads on here, and getting lots of advice so all's good.

I've got a free weekend so I'm trying to get the courage up for a 20 miler tomorrow and then maybe a 40 miler on Sunday. :tired:

Cheers

Billy

snorri

Legendary Member
Welcome to the forum Billy:smile:.
There are quite a number of forum members resident in the Central Belt who will be keen to encourage you along to even greater things.
Look out too for CC Ecosse rides.:smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Welcome to cycle chat Billy!
As Snorri mentioned, the CC Ecosse rides (look here) are a good place to start more challenging rides.
The CC Ecosse guys are a pleasure to ride with, even when sorely tried by a bunch of gatecrashing ladies on bikes :laugh:
All welcome to come along, as the rules are:
any bike will do
nobody will be left behind (can confirm this :blush:)
there will be cake!

Another Glasgow cycling group with several members local to you, and not "uppity" at all, if you know what I mean :whistle: is here.

Hope to meet you on a ride soon! :hello:

:welcome:

OP
OP
Blert596

Blert596

Thanks for all the kind welcomes peeps. I never managed my 20 miler today. As it was so nice I ended up doing 34 and a half miles :crazy:. I must admit to being a bit knackered at the end of it as I'd only had a piece of toast to eat for breakfast, and didnt stop to eat anything on the way round. (Thats my excuse anyway ^_^ ). I have my little boy tomorrow so will probably go out later on to do a 7 mile route that I havent done for a while.

Will look into hopefully joining a couple of rides with the CC Ecosse (although I am from Liverpool) and also with the GRCM.

Once again, thanks for the warm welcome and if anyone fancies a ride out during the week from Bothwell/Uddingston area give me a shout.

Top Bottom