England : Hampshire Night Ride Around The Coast - 14 March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Yes, though of course if you'd like to get some more Island miles in the last cat is 2215 :smile:

No, I'm good thanks lol

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Yes, though of course if you'd like to get some more Island miles in the last cat is 2215 :smile:
Sorry, this is confusing me. I thought the foot passenger ferry from Portsmouth Harbour to Ryde was the default option. The car ferry sails from Portsmouth Gunwharf to Fishbourne.

Edit: just read the tweaked opening post, which answered all questions (Portsmouth Gunwharf to Fishbourne, midnight sailing)

Last edited:
OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Hover goes from Ryde Esplanade, just along from the Pier, Pompey terminal is on the western end of the seafront. It does take bikes, maximum two per sailing and first come first served.

Not everyone travelling from same place, JoeyB, and prices may be even lower if you buy well in advance. :thumbsup:

Sleep. It's a matter of trial and error, really. Everyone's different.

For my first night ride, I took the day off work, had a little lie-in and tried to take a short nap in the afternoon but found this doesn't really work for me -- I'm too excited to sleep 'extra'! So now I just take it as it comes and deal with the aftermath.

Some people power through on willpower. It doesn't help to be coming into it with a sleep deficit though so do try and keep to regular hours for 4-5 days beforehand if you can i.e. not burning the candle at both ends. Some people find they're fine on the ride itself but crash as soon as it's over -- in fact, I'd hazard a guess that this response is the most common. Peruse FNRttC threads for pics and there's always one of Dellzeqq asleep over breakfast. Me, I go doolallly on the train home. Some people manage just fine til they get home then crash til Sunday morning (you'll see their ride reports don't turn up here until Sunday afternoon). Flying Dodo does just fine the whole day, even does DIY etc, then drifts off around 8pm in front of the telly -- I don't know if he's always been that way, he's been doing night rides for years so maybe this nearly normal aftermath has evolved.

The only constant here is the accepted wisdom that you must not attempt to operate a motorised vehicle until you are fully recovered, i.e. after you've got home and got whatever sleep your body says you need. In an actual bed. (Catnapping in a bus stop -- or in your car before setting off - does not qualify.)

In other words, don't totally wear yourself out in the days leading up to the night ride. Beyond that, you'll have to learn what your body teaches you. But you'll almost certainly get through the night ride itself just fine -- it's how you feel afterwards that is the Great Unknown.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will pitch in as well...

Top Bottom