England : Hampshire Night Ride Around The Coast - 14 March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I'm pretty good at getting my 8 hours, so no issues there. I had thought about taking Friday afternoon off and grabbing an afternoon nap...I'm usually ready for one of those by Friday anyway lol

Other than that I'm hoping to just get through it and deal with the fallout on Saturday.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm pretty good at getting my 8 hours, so no issues there. I had thought about taking Friday afternoon off and grabbing an afternoon nap...I'm usually ready for one of those by Friday anyway lol

Other than that I'm hoping to just get through it and deal with the fallout on Saturday.

I usually get my head down about 6pm for a few hours. I am one of those lucky so and so's that is able to get a kip when I can any time of day. On the saturday morning I always cycle back. That really keeps me awake. If it's an early return to home then may have a couple of hours keep once home. If later in the day then will keep myself occupied so as to not doze off late afternoon/early evening.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Question - how do I prepare for a night ride sleep wise? Never done one before...

I would not worry too much. You'll be fine during the ride - I think physical activity keeps tiredness away. For me, its important to stay warm - the only issue I had on a FNRttC (almost falling asleep while riding) was after I suffered some kind of mild hypthermia. It started to drizzle and I kept wearing my soft shell rather than putting on my waterproofs. I can't really sleep before a night ride - I just get up at Friday, 6am, and stay awake. Good strategy when getting tired during the ride is to start a chat. And a hip flask also helps.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Squeezed another 30km in this morning...my route takes me along sea front at Hill Head through Stokes Bay so I had plenty of time to stare at that big island over the water lol

Going to do a combination of both my routes tomorrow morning, so a flat 30k followed by a lumpy 20k around Ports Down Hill. I'll do another couple of hill routes early next week and that will be me ready hopefully.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Will you stop training!

Sorry :-)

I just need to feel comfortable as I haven't been out on the bike much at all recently, its not like I commute any big distances during the week so it doesn't take long for my legs to go missing!

Even with plenty of mileage in my legs, I'm not a fast rider so its not like I'll be leaving anyone behind, I'm more worried I'll be holding people up at the back!

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
My knees are still hurting, so I'll be doing some more adjusting to the saddle position, and then going out again at the weekend, to see if that's improved things.

HorTs

Über Member
Last time I did IOW it was in training for my LEJOG, so I had full panniers all round, hoping it will be a bit easier this time.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Squeezed 50k in this morning before 10am. Couldn't see the island, looked as though someone had nicked it... Here's hoping lol

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
anyone fancy meeting up for dinner at Pourtsmouth before embarkation? I'll be arriving around 10pm.
That sounds like a plan, O. I wasn't originally planning on getting to Pompey much before check in time, but I guess we'll need as many calories as we can stuff at one sitting for this one…

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Weather forecasts looking pretty good. Headwind for the southern stretch, but not too strong, temperatures down to five or six degrees.
@JoeyB , can you PM your phone number please? I have everyone else's I think.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
That sounds like a plan, O. I wasn't originally planning on getting to Pompey much before check in time, but I guess we'll need as many calories as we can stuff at one sitting for this one…
I'll be on the train leaving Victoria station at 20:02, arriving Portsmouth Harbour 22:05. Will then head on to Pizza Express at Gunwharf's Quays, http://www.gunwharf-quays.com/shops/pizza-express As all restaurants at Gunwharf Quays, it closes at 23:00, which might be a bit tight timewise but 45 min should be alright for a quick pizza. Afterwards, one could head on to http://theoldcustomshouse.com/

I might book a table at Pizza Express, depending on how many we well be.

Or do you have a better idea, Stu?

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
OK so I've been getting out at around 7ish in the morning for rides, and I have a good clothing combination sorted....is the temperature going to be all that different during the night??

Top Bottom