England : Hampshire Night Ride Around The Coast - 14 March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
I could be tempted to join you, have you checked what time last orders for food is?

Good point. I've just called them up. What they told me is that the kitchen sometimes closes early on very quiet nights, but they have a reservation for 14 people at 9pm on Friday. Hence kitchen should still be open by 10-ish. I've made a reservation for Olaf, party of 4, for 10.15 pm.

And look what I've just discovered in Ryde.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Good point. I've just called them up. What they told me is that the kitchen sometimes closes early on very quiet nights, but they have a reservation for 14 people at 9pm on Friday. Hence kitchen should still be open by 10-ish. I've made a reservation for Olaf, party of 4, for 10.15 pm.

And look what I've just discovered in Ryde.

I think that was already the plan for Ryde! Well Wetherspoons was certainly the destination for brekky anyway

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.....
Seriously though, apart from the fact I haven't had another look at doing a route for the Garmin just yet, there won't be a 'final' route per se. If we get to Freshwater Bay and everyone's knackered, then the Needles is out. Chain ferry might get cut in favour of Newport. Wight Roads will probably have another spanner or two to throw in the works. The route round to the south coast is settled enough, apart from a few possible tweaks here and there so is the stretch to the Military Road. After that, there are multiple options. So, and please don't be offended by this, I'm not going to dish out The Route, because The Route doesn't exist- at least part of it will be determined on the night/morning. Navigating by GPS alone is not a good idea, just trust your ride leader knows where he's going ;)

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Does anyone know this chap? Is he trustworthy? :smile:
More trustworthy than a Garmin and a route drawn up entirely online ;)

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
'm not going to dish out The Route, because The Route doesn't exist- at least part of it will be determined on the night/morning. Navigating by GPS alone is not a good idea, just trust your ride leader knows where he's going ;)

you're proving a worthy substitute of his royal Leggness aka @dellzeqq . I'call you Stumon on Friday night

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

FYI only...
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4210143 (if you do load this on your GPS, it'll probably get confused by the two passes of Ryde- I'm going to split the first section off to avoid that).
This is the full stretch including the Needles- bear in mind that on the night recce we only got to Freshwater Bay at about half six & by that stage we'd done the south coast with a headwind all the way, as it will be tomorrow night. On the day recce, I didn't bother going down there at all, I wanted to get a tailwind pronto. The other week, we just checked the first stretch of the road down there was OK, which it is. If everyone's feeling full of energy and ready for some extra climbing (I kid you not) nonetheless, the Needles remains an option. However, there are multiple options for cutting bits out here and there (shorter, certainly not necessarily flatter), which we'll take as we see fit. This is not an exercise in attrition, after all... @Eddie_C will want to go back to East Cowes, perhaps without joining us for breakfast (which adds a few extra miles for him), and that way round is more pleasant than the 'motorway' through Newport anyway.

Top Bottom