Night riding in the middle of nowhere

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Never done it... (and off the bike for a bit... doctor's orders, dodgy hand)
but I just took delivery of these muthas:
electron5w10w-zoom.jpg

Now, the roads round here, just a few minutes away, are DARK with a capital D, out in the country, very little to no light pollution... I'm getting a twinge of excitement just thinking about getting out in the middle of nowhere in the total dark.... I'll keep you posted when I get round to it! :rofl:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
It can be quite surreal riding in the dark with just your lights and no other traffic about. you can find your mind wandering onto allsorts of things as you pedal along. Enjoy.

It's great fun. back in the day when I was fit, I lived on a narrowboat in the middle of Staffordshire, and worked shifts. I often found myself out and about on the lanes at 3 o'clock on a winter morning. And I once rode from Stafford to the Lincolnshire coast, leaving about 1pm and getting there around midnight. It's safe, too: there's little traffic and (paradoxically) you're much more visible. (assuming you're well lit.)

Mr Phoebus

Fnaar said:
I'm getting a twinge of excitement just thinking about getting out in the middle of nowhere in the total dark....

Stay on the road. Keep clear of the moors and beware of the moon.

trio25

Über Member
I enjoy it, although I leave a route plan with someone, I hear all sorts of noises in the bushes so better safe than sorry.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Fnaar said:
Never done it... (and off the bike for a bit... doctor's orders, dodgy hand)
but I just took delivery of these muthas:
electron5w10w-zoom.jpg

Now, the roads round here, just a few minutes away, are DARK with a capital D, out in the country, very little to no light pollution... I'm getting a twinge of excitement just thinking about getting out in the middle of nowhere in the total dark.... I'll keep you posted when I get round to it! :wacko:

That's what I had on my MTB for commuting with, until I splashed out on the Ay-Ups during the summer in anticipation of the dark mornings.

They're great lights. I had the ones with the non-intelligent charger which meant you could cook the battery - and I did :tongue: - unless you remembered when the time was up (so I ended up using a timer plug). Also found the connectors on the lights get knackered after a while and the lights will then cut off intermittently - but you can buy spares from CRC when that happens.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
goo_mason said:
They're great lights. I had the ones with the non-intelligent charger which meant you could cook the battery - and I did :smile: - unless you remembered when the time was up (so I ended up using a timer plug).
that's interesting, cos there was no paperwork whatsoever in the box, apart from a recipt from wiggle (and no sweets, either :smile:)... now it's not hard to work out how to put them together and fit them on the bike, but I can only assume that they DO have an intelligent charger (or perhaps I sghould assume otherwise...)... hmm....

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Fnaar said:
that's interesting, cos there was no paperwork whatsoever in the box, apart from a recipt from wiggle (and no sweets, either ;))... now it's not hard to work out how to put them together and fit them on the bike, but I can only assume that they DO have an intelligent charger (or perhaps I sghould assume otherwise...)... hmm....

The box mine came in had the instructions printed on the back. I think you'll probably have the intelligent charger as yours are new - mine are over two years old and technology wasn't so advanced back in those days.... ;)

yenrod

I can get to totally dark roads quite easily & I find a front light obliterates the dark so you can only see the light and it make sit worse...

So i turn it off but on when a cars coming !

Top Bottom