Night riding in the middle of nowhere

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
anyone got the link for those particular lights?

The main rule of night riding: don't look behind you. Unless you're wearing a helmet light, glancing over your shoulder only emphasises that you're alone in the pitch black. It's sh1t scary!

I've ridden a few overnight races in my time and by far the most entertaining thing is the ridiculous hallucinations you get after hours and hours in the pitch black staring at a small pool of light to show you the way. Your brain makes up all kinds of stuff to fill your peripheral vision and it can get really bonkers sometimes! :smile:

Mr Phoebus

trio25 said:
I hear all sorts of noises in the bushes so better safe than sorry.

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow... don't be alarmed now. It's just a spring clean for the May Queen.

bikie

Über Member
I find it hard to get motivated to go out in the dark but once I'm out I enjoy it, don't like when I have to stop in the dark, had a punture once, never changed a tube so fast in my life.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Join a MTB club and go night riding; it's very common in the MTBing world. There's nothing better than being out on a cold moonlit night with a few pals and it definitely hones your handling skills.

trio25

Über Member
I got into night riding through mtb but now I don't know any other riders who ride at night and live near me.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
goo_mason said:
The box mine came in had the instructions printed on the back. I think you'll probably have the intelligent charger as yours are new - mine are over two years old and technology wasn't so advanced back in those days.... :biggrin:
Oh yeah, so it does :smile:
It says full charge up to 10 hours, but don't leave them on over 20....
Only quibble is the amount of lampage (to coin a phrase) you get...
5hrs or so on 5 watts lamp (box is upstairs, so figures not exact), 2.5 on 10watts lamp, and 1.6 with both... will use forra bit commuting and the odd night ride, so will be ok...

Noodley

Fnaar said:
...Only quibble is the amount of lampage (to coin a phrase) you get...

I bought these a couple of years ago. Lasted long enough on 15w to get me to and from work, which was over 2 hours of riding.

jay clock

Massive member
My new Electrons just arrived from CRC. They look well made- better than my old twin Smart ones, which were a bit plasticky. They seem nice and bright (only in the downstairs loo for now as it is daytime.)

My only quibble is that the velcro straps for the switches are too small for the crunchy part to overlap the soft part (if you understand). This is on drop bars on a brand new road bike. I will resort to cable ties I think. They are probably designed for mtb bars

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
jay clock said:
My only quibble is that the velcro straps for the switches are too small for the crunchy part to overlap the soft part (if you understand). This is on drop bars on a brand new road bike. I will resort to cable ties I think. They are probably designed for mtb bars
Now that's the kind of technical talk I'm comfortable with! :biggrin:

Top Bottom