Night riding in the middle of nowhere

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

I've been put off using bottlecage batteries. 3 reasons - two logical, one illogical.

1. Uses up a bottle cage. I prefer my bottle cage to be used to contain a bottle with a drink in it, especially if I'm on a long run.

2. Run time - you can get lights with longer run times (LED) that are amazingingly bright.

3. I had the Smart equivalent some years ago. One night I was on a night ride and within a few minutes of starting the return journey - this was the bit in the dark - the lights died on me. Basically the battery, which had been fully charged, died. Kaputt. It was no more. Dead. Shuffled off its mortal coil. It's no fun cycling unlit, winding, narrow Norfolk country lanes with only a bog-standard 'Ever Ready' type light as your emergency light source. Since then I've been paranoid about run times on batteries, and particularly on batteries that are not your easily changeable AA or AAA types.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
wafflycat said:
Since then I've been paranoid about run times on batteries, and particularly on batteries that are not your easily changeable AA or AAA types.
[fingers in ears] la la la la la la la :biggrin: I don't wish to hear that, as my bottle cagers just cost me quite a lot :tongue:

mondobongo

Über Member
Kirstie said:
The main rule of night riding: don't look behind you. Unless you're wearing a helmet light, glancing over your shoulder only emphasises that you're alone in the pitch black. It's sh1t scary!

I can vouch for that and trails that you know really well take on a whole different look. Spooked myself out up on Cannock Chase a couple of times.
Once its in your head Fnarr you can almost feel the fingernails reaching out to tap you on the shoulder.

In fact I think if anyone had ever jumped out on me I would have beaten them to a pulp.

Night Riding is cool though Fnarr get yourself a hip flask for those taking a break and looking at the stars pondering moments.

JohnRedcoRn

i like the idea someone had of switching off front light until theres a car coming. however, when i'm away from streetlit areas i tend to point my front light right down, to see potholes etc - i cringe when my front wheel hits a hole in the road really hard

mondobongo said:
Spooked myself out up on Cannock Chase a couple of times.

I used to night riding on the chase at least once a week when I used to live in Brum, and it used to really freak me out at times. Nowadays you're never alone on the chase after dark as it's one of the west midlands' top dogging spots. You may even spot the odd ex-soccer star (*cough*Stan Collymore...*cough*) when you're up there...

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hee hee, went for my first proper nigth ride last night, 2 hours out in dark country lanes with my splendid new lights ;) Fantastic is all I can say!;)
I got spooked by a horse, and a woman in white nightdress having fag outside farmhouse (wooOOOoooo!) but apart from that it was great to stop, switch lights off, and listen to the sounds of the night... with no light pollution. I'm hooked :smile: Only saw 5 cars my entire journey! And one other night cyclist... we passed each other on a bend, going opposite ways, and I think both did a double take before calling out "evening". :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Almost as magical as staying a night in an Alpine refuge then setting off before dawn with head torch. Nothing beats the freezing crystal clear air, the brilliant light and the perfect silence of an Alpine dawn. The last time I did it was on the final day of the Haute Route (ski touring) when you have three cols and three glaciers to cross so you need an early start.

Alpine refuge breakfasts on the other hand are usually ghastly....

bonj2

get a reflective high viz jacket/vest/bib thing. It's arguably of even more importance than a rear light.

peanut

if you were down here in Somerset you'd probably find several helicopters from Westlands following you using you as a night time beacon lol:biggrin:

trio25

Über Member
Once when I was riding over to meet some friends at night I was on a bridleway and being followed by a helicopter for about 10 minutes, I think they decided then I was moving too fast to be whoever they were looking for or something.

Top Bottom