No macho jobs left in Britain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Have a look at the pics on this URBEX website. Look for the Stanton & Staveley ironworks on the industrial buildings section.

Can't for the life of me remember who said it but a few months ago a senior politician was on R4 saying that many of our social problems can be blamed on the fact that we have no industrial pride left and no really macho jobs, to which young men can aspire. This means there is no social hierarchy amongst people of working age, by which workers are encouraged to move up through the factory organisation and improve their wages and standards. The consequence is boredom and lack of ambiton. Would you want to work if the only job available to you was selling cups of coffee or insurance to whingeing posh bastards?

PS: Remembered now: it was Menzies Campbell.

gavintc

Guru
Plumber and electrician demand some form of education and we do not seem terriblly good at inspiring young men to do this. The current government is sold on university more than trade skills. The net result is that we appear to provide degrees as an entry level qualification to sell sandwiches and coffee.

jonesy

Guru
gavintc said:
Plumber and electrician demand some form of education and we do not seem terriblly good at inspiring young men to do this. The current government is sold on university more than trade skills. The net result is that we appear to provide degrees as an entry level qualification to sell sandwiches and coffee.

I agree. It is a disgrace that practical skills and craftmanship are not as highly valued as 'graduate' work. Thinking back to when I was in school, a lot of the kids who left after their O levels and went straight into a 'trade' are now much better off than a lot of those who remained in education because of the pressure to get a degree. They've got good incomes and nice houses, as well as being able to work in the area they grew up in. Meaningful work gave them a lot more maturity at an earlier age than the rest of us who went off drinking and arssing about at university (and our parents' homes) well into our mid twenties...:tongue:

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life until I drifted by chance into my present line of work at the age of 24.

Tharg2007

Veteran
a recent trip to the airport gave me an insight into just how pathetic people are. There was a 25kg limit on bags, basically you had to take stuff out of it if it went over. the reason was that it was against their safety rules and the "men" in the back wouldn't lift it at that weight. Now im no weight lifter and I lugged it about there, and I seem to remember that there was never this limit in the past. What kind of wimp gets a job in baggage handling and then complains about the bags being too heavy? or have they employed people with bad backs so as not to discriminate against them and then said because of your bad back you don't have to lift anything in this lifting job you have :S

Noodley

My 17 year old nephew, who I have mostly known to be a surly monosyllabic cretin, has recently obtained an apprenticeship as a plasterer. He gets up at 5.40am every day to catch a bus to a town 15 miles away to start work at 8am (the bus service round here is crap). He's still a surly monosyllabic cretin but now much more tired :sad:;)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Noodley said:
My 17 year old nephew, who I have mostly known to be a surly monosyllabic cretin, has recently obtained an apprenticeship as a plasterer. He gets up at 5.40am every day to catch a bus to a town 15 miles away to start work at 8am (the bus service round here is crap). He's still a surly monosyllabic cretin but now much more tired :sad:;)

get him a bike for christmas noodley!

FBOAB

numbnuts said:
I was a blacksmith, but welding and machining took us over nothing is forged anymore

If I remember corrctly, Blackpool Corporation Tramways still employ 3 blacksmiths.
It's true there seems to be a distinct lack of pride in work anymore. I work in the bus industry as an engineer; I repair things for a living for which I'm proud and have returned to after gaining a first at Birmingham University as a mature student. The amount of younger people I come across who can't do anything more than just replace items blindly instead of repair then just give up if that doesn't fix it. There seems to be little pride in manual work anymore. It seems to be beneath people to get dirty...

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
I was a 'landscape gardener' for 20 years, now I am a 'Dock master' that means I work in a Marina, Don't ask what I do! Every one always asks!
I believe they could both be described as "Macho" jobs!

I also only ever drink whisky or real ale, Does that earn me extra "Macho' Points":laugh:

Noodley

djtheglove said:
I was a 'landscape gardener' for 20 years, now I am a 'Dock master' that means I work in a Marina, Don't ask what I do! Every one always asks!
I believe they could both be described as "Macho" jobs!

I also only ever drink whisky or real ale, Does that earn me extra "Macho' Points":laugh:

Landscape gardener sounds a bit not macho - I picture that Irish ponce.
And dock master sounds as if you stand around pointing at people.

not that macho IMO :sad::biggrin:

DJ

FBOAB said:
If I remember corrctly, Blackpool Corporation Tramways still employ 3 blacksmiths.
It's true there seems to be a distinct lack of pride in work anymore. I work in the bus industry as an engineer; I repair things for a living for which I'm proud and have returned to after gaining a first at Birmingham University as a mature student. The amount of younger people I come across who can't do anything more than just replace items blindly instead of repair then just give up if that doesn't fix it. There seems to be little pride in manual work anymore. It seems to be beneath people to get dirty...

I agree The thought of getting dirty to a lot of young people these days seems unacceptable!

It was part of life when i was yong it had no stigma attached to it then! Now it seems to suggest to others that a working man is in some way stupid!

DJ

Noodley said:
Landscape gardener sounds a bit not macho - I picture that Irish ponce.
And dock master sounds as if you stand around pointing at people.

not that macho IMO :sad::biggrin:

Exscuse Me, I do remember all those young lads who I saw come to work for us straight from school and did'nt last a day , cos they did'nt have the strenght to lift a shovel let alone carry 50 paving slabs through a house to a back garden.

I did'nt have the strength when I started either I was just determined!

Top Bottom