Non cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
I have done many club rides with my old club. Unfortunately it folded years ago.
I did enjoy the structure of the ride, but there were times when I thought the routes could of been a bit more imaginative, and at times maybe a bit more flexible .

Try ColinJ rides!!

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I have done many club rides with my old club. Unfortunately it folded years ago.
Was the club just for Brompton owners ?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Interesting thread. Just when I thought it was just me.
Mine happened when I got Covid/long covid 3 years ago. 1st bad symptoms was loss of balance and falling off the bike (and when walking)...... not good on a busy road.
Next it robbed my strength......I struggle to walk around the house now. Not good as I am my wifes carer but need daughter to care for us both some days.
At the same time my wife's spine crumbled. She went in hospital for checks and found breast cancer.....they quickly carried out a mastectomy.

Re ebikes, I would have one like a shot but it won't help if I can't stop falling off.

Get a trike, then fit an electric kit (See Avatar)

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Sorry to hear all these accounts of peoples' cycling coming to an end. It's somewhat hearting to hear that some of you don't miss it, and I know we all get something different from riding.. however personally I've come to the conclusion that when I can no longer ride my life will effectively be over.

True, in the 20yrs since I bought my first road bike at uni my riding has waxed and wained; usually faltering when living back at home and not liking the riding around here. I think in the beginning my mental health was generally better, plus I don't think I consciously recognised the benefits of riding so much. Years later I struggle to imagine much quality of life without getting out on the bike, and am fully committed to a future where every journey I can is undertaken on two wheels, for all the usual reasons.

As I've aged my attitude towards what I want from the bike has changed a little and now I'm rarely if ever concerned by speed - instead just getting out or going shopping, knowing that doing it on the bike will make me mentally and physically fitter, save me money and ever-so-slightly reduce my burden on the planet.

It's interesting to look at this from a gear perspective too - in other interests I've often worked my way up to some quite nice kit, and have certainly coveted it in the past. While it would be untrue to say that I've not got excited about a new bike or piece of equipment (the pinnacle probably being my Croix de Fer in 2020); for me the pleasure remains largely rooted in the ride itself rather than what I'm riding. As it happens I've not used the CdF for months; instead using my Fuji which is considerably less lofty and arguably inferior in many ways.. while I get nearly as much pleasure getting out on my battered old budget Raleigh.

I've certainly had other interests where I've swung from totally, obsessively immersed to barely interested; however while not without benefit I've not found these to be as profoundly good for me as cycling has proven.

Stay active if you can folks, even if it's not two wheels :smile:

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
It comes and goes with me. I would at one time be out on the bike 3 or 4 times a week, all weather's, all year round.
Semi retired now and l imagined l would be riding much more and further afield.
It hasn't panned out like that at all. I ride a couple of times a week, if that and the drive to do longer rides as waned quite a bit. At the moment l'm happy doing shorter local rides, often loops and expect as the weather improves I'll be looking to do some long rides.
I ride for pleasure and to keep fit, no commuting and rarely take my bike on a trip to the shops.
I doubt l will ever give up riding unless forced to do so.
I ride alone too except when l join a group ride fro Cyclechat.

Top Bottom