Non cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
There are days when I don't want to cycle, but after a few days off the bike I get the need to get back on.
I've been cycling for 60 years, to and from school, work, randonees , audax's, touring, shopping and just for the hell of a few miles for the sake of it.
I'm not giving up just yet.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I went from an 8000 plus miles a year, out in all weathers and most days cyclist to what I am now which is a haven't ridden a bike for nearly 3 years, struggles to walk fair distances and hates the bloke who caused my downfall! I never felt hate towards the boy racer who knocked me off my bike, as he was heavily fined and banned for 3 years (it was his 5th motoring offence), but I certainly do hate the git who used me as an air bag when he toppled over onto me on a club run, breaking my hip then riding off saying "ah well, accidents happen"! He didn't even phone me in hospital, never mind visit me! Him falling over and landing on me more or less ended my cycling days, even my ability to do a physical job, which I'd always done!

postman

Legendary Member
I went from an 8000 plus miles a year, out in all weathers and most days cyclist to what I am now which is a haven't ridden a bike for nearly 3 years, struggles to walk fair distances and hates the bloke who caused my downfall! I never felt hate towards the boy racer who knocked me off my bike, as he was heavily fined and banned for 3 years (it was his 5th motoring offence), but I certainly do hate the git who used me as an air bag when he toppled over onto me on a club run, breaking my hip then riding off saying "ah well, accidents happen"! He didn't even phone me in hospital, never mind visit me! Him falling over and landing on me more or less ended my cycling days, even my ability to do a physical job, which I'd always done!
Accy so sorry to read that.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Accy so sorry to read that.

I think that's the first time I've let off steam like that about it Postie! I've been for my pre-op today for my hip replacement, six years after the incident. To go from being a very fast walker to someone who gets overtaken by 80 year olds is bad and sad! To actually fall on someone and then ride away saying what he said, to me was totally dishonourable and I'd also say shame on the cycling club that more or less backed up his actions and words!

I'm lucky in that I have only cycled for 12 years since starting again after a 40 year gap from my 20s. I only ride around three times a week in summer and twice a week through the worst months of winter so have not yet had enough time to get jaded.

I used to be a really keen runner, and team player in several sports, so know that all loves can come to an end.

Don't fret over it, just move on.

mustang1

Legendary Member
So far this year I've done half, HAAAALF, the mileage (300 miles) I done this time last year. Paaaa-thetic.
I think that's the first time I've let off steam like that about it Postie! I've been for my pre-op today for my hip replacement, six years after the incident. To go from being a very fast walker to someone who gets overtaken by 80 year olds is bad and sad! To actually fall on someone and then ride away saying what he said, to me was totally dishonourable and I'd also say shame on the cycling club that more or less backed up his actions and words!

This is speechless kinda stuff. Yeah, you IDK how to follow this up - that's a crapfest. You, sir, are a very, VERY brave person and I think you are extremely positive in continuing to be here with us, showing us your wisdom and experience in the cycling community. I'm not sure if I should leave a "sad" emoticon, or a "hug", or a "like". Well, not a "like" as in a "I like what happened", but "like" as in you talked about it just now, although I guess it's not off your chest completely. I have no idea how I would cope with this. <Sighs>... you are a strong person for still going out there to walk, even if slowly.

Edit: ugh, fixed typos.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
So far this year I've done half, HAAAALF, the mileage (300 miles) I done this time last year. Paaaa-thetic.

This is speechless kinda stuff. Yeah, you IDK how to follow this up - that's a crapfest. You, sir, are a very, VERY brave person and I think you are extremely positive in continuing to be here with us, showing us your wisdom and experience in the cycling community. I'm not sure if I should leave a sad emoticon, or a hug, or a like. Well, not a "like" as in a I like what happened, but "like" as in your talked about it just now, although I guess it's not off your chest completely. I have no idea how I would cope with this. <Sighs>... are you a strong person for still going out there to walk, even if slowly.

Thanks @mustang1 I've always been a resilient type, despite my many faults. In short whatever shoot life throws at you, you have to adapt and get on with it, if not get over it!

D

Deleted member 1258

Another one here who has fallen off the wagon, I used to be a hard core commuter, all weather rider until I retired, after I retired I was riding a couple of 50- 60 milers most weeks, now I'm my Good Ladies carer and get very little time to ride, recently I've lost interest and I've only done one 25 mile ride this month.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

Was it this guy?

JKUEHBLZXBBTROKFZRRS3YQHO4.jpg

presta

Guru
I'm now a non-cyclist, but enforced, not out of choice. My health won't tolerate it, and every time I try increasing my activity a little, it makes matters irreversibly worse, and I end up having to do less than before. April 1st will be the third anniversary of my last ride.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I was a die hard cyclist up to about 2yrs ago. Now I’d class myself as a non cyclist . Spend more of my time on this forum in the non cycling threads :laugh:

Used to get excited about new kit , new bikes etc ? Completely lost my mojo for it , doubt whether I’ll ever get back on the bike . Dare I say it the way my knees are it might have to be an leccy one if I do !

Anyone else ?

Oh yeah, totally get an e-bike if that helps with putting you at ease. I have an e-bike and they're great!

I've never been into new bikes or latest gadgets. I'm really interested in technology (computer related stuff) so when the bike companies (or more to the point, the youtube presenters, say that bikes have "tech", my boat certainly doesn't get the floating treatment. I'm more interested in reasonably priced bikes that are fit for my purpose.

Anyway, IDK if it's a slow start to the year but my mileage is only half of what it was this time last year but it always seems to balance out as the months roll on (a slow start to the year culminates into higher mileage towards the middle of the year and vice versa).

I still see you as a cyclist though! :cheers:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not just the start of my hip problems by that cyclist falling on me, but when they closed the gyms 3 years ago due to lockdown it made matters worse! I was doing about 45 minutes, 5 nights a week on a static bike and doing half an hour on that climbing/escalator type machine, plus about 3 hours a week in the swimming pool. When the gyms closed that was it, I couldn't do any exercise apart from walking. The closing of gyms definitely added to my decline in fitness!

Dave7

Legendary Member
Interesting thread. Just when I thought it was just me.
Mine happened when I got Covid/long covid 3 years ago. 1st bad symptoms was loss of balance and falling off the bike (and when walking)...... not good on a busy road.
Next it robbed my strength......I struggle to walk around the house now. Not good as I am my wifes carer but need daughter to care for us both some days.
At the same time my wife's spine crumbled. She went in hospital for checks and found breast cancer.....they quickly carried out a mastectomy.

Re ebikes, I would have one like a shot but it won't help if I can't stop falling off.

Top Bottom