Not happy with my local bike shop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi to all.
I'm not to happy with my local bike shop today I put my old road bike in for a new bottom bracket. The one in it was the original and was starting to get a little notchy and needed nipping up every couple of weeks so I thought a nice new sealed bb was now over due.. Tonight I went to pick my bike up and all looked well. I didn't inspect it to closely as I was in a rush to get home. Later on I thought I'd go out for a quiet ride out and notice the chain ring side arm crank was literally barely clearing the rear chainstay frame. You couldn't even get the thickness of a credit card between the crank arm and the frame. Luckily for me my brother-in-law is quite handy with bikes so I took my bike over to him to get a second opinion. He took one look at it and said no no no this isn't right. He explained as soon as I would ride this bike in anger up a hill the frame would naturally flex which would result in the crank arm hitting the frame. After whipping the bottom bracket he measured the shaft which turned out to be 118mm. In his Aladdin's cave of bike spares ,he came back out with a 122mm bb and set about fitting it, in which now gave perfect clearance.
So tomorrow the local bike shop who supplied and fitted this short bb can have it back. I wont name and shame the shop but they are a well respected shop In my area and have been trading for many years ,so for them to of carried this poor workmanship out is unacceptable

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi to all.
I'm not to happy with my local bike shop today I put my old road bike in for a new bottom bracket. The one in it was the original and was starting to get a little notchy and needed nipping up every couple of weeks so I thought a nice new sealed bb was now over due.. Tonight I went to pick my bike up and all looked well. I didn't inspect it to closely as I was in a rush to get home. Later on I thought I'd go out for a quiet ride out and notice the chain ring side arm crank was literally barely clearing the rear chainstay frame. You couldn't even get the thickness of a credit card between the crank arm and the frame. Luckily for me my brother-in-law is quite handy with bikes so I took my bike over to him to get a second opinion. He took one look at it and said no no no this isn't right. He explained as soon as I would ride this bike in anger up a hill the frame would naturally flex which would result in the crank arm hitting the frame. After whipping the bottom bracket he measured the shaft which turned out to be 118mm. In his Aladdin's cave of bike spares ,he came back out with a 122mm bb and set about fitting it, in which now gave perfect clearance.
So tomorrow the local bike shop who supplied and fitted this short bb can have it back. I wont name and shame the shop but they are a well respected shop In my area and have been trading for many years ,so for them to of carried this poor workmanship out is unacceptable
Inexperienced guy fitted the wrong BB, I'd want a full refund. :cursing:

Hi to all.

Nothing wrong with naming them. If its happened to you then there's a chance it could happen to somebody else. A decent LBS would investigate why it happened and take steps to prevent recurrence, such as retraining inexperienced staff or sacking useless ones.

Mrs M

Guru
I'd be very unhappy with that kind of "service" :angry:
Lucky your brother in law came to the rescue.
If something similar happened to me I'd be clueless and pretty angry too!

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
That's exactly why I'm not going to name and shame the shop. I haven't spoke to them yet ,to let them have a chance to give me an explanation. I do get the impression that because I didn't walk into the shop dressed in Lycra and looking like a professional cyclist, and that the bike is 33 years old and not a state of the art road going bike ,they thought they could get away with an ill fitting bb and think that it would go unnoticed by my amateur presence of being a cyclist. Unfortunately my brother in law will be my ex brother in inlaw in few weeks when I get divorced from my feral wife but we are the best of friends..

midlife

Guru
Bitd I ran my track and TT bikes with fag paper clearance between the chainstay and the crank / chaining........the road bike maybe a thick piece of cardboard. Maybe the guy in the LBS was my age :smile:

Hope it gets sorted :smile:

Shaun

That's exactly why I'm not going to name and shame the shop. I haven't spoke to them yet ,to let them have a chance to give me an explanation. I do get the impression that because I didn't walk into the shop dressed in Lycra and looking like a professional cyclist, and that the bike is 33 years old and not a state of the art road going bike ,they thought they could get away with an ill fitting bb and think that it would go unnoticed by my amateur presence of being a cyclist. Unfortunately my brother in law will be my ex brother in inlaw in few weeks when I get divorced from my feral wife but we are the best of friends..
That quickly escalated, from useless bike shops to feral spouses to shunning your helpful BIL.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
They took the old one out so swapping to a similar one shouldn't have been too difficult unless the old un was a loose bearing type (in which case it probably only needed 2 new bearing sets)

Mrs M

Guru
I try to avoid shops like that, and that's why I travel a fair distance for any work needed on the bikes.
Hope you get a satisfactory outcome and the shop learns a lesson.

Top Bottom