Off on holiday anywhere nice this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim_Noir

Every year for about 13 years now, we go to Whitby for 6 weeks (2 weeks in April, 2 in October and two at New Year)... and this year is no diffrent. You know you are a local when you walk in to a boozer and they know what you are going to order!

TVC

Iceland to bother Geysers, glaciers and the odd volcano.

TVC

Uncle Mort said:
Iceland's cool. Literally. ;)

I did go on whale watching trip there, but it wasn't as eventful as Speicher's. We just didn't see any whales.

Reykjavik on a Saturday night is quite astonishing! :ohmy:

In what way?

I will be there for my birthday so Mrs C is buying a meal in the best restaurant in Reykjavic we can find, I really want to try Puffin and give Whale steaks a go.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Speicher said:
Are you going to visit the Blue Lagoon for a swim?

Ask locals for info on places to swim. There are many natural pools all over the island that are heated by mother earth, not filled with power station cooling water.

TVC

Speicher said:
Are you going to visit the Blue Lagoon for a swim?

Most likely, we are staying in a village just outside Selfoss where the water is at 100C just 10 metres under the surface so there are naturally heated pools everywhere. We are certainly taking out cossies.

Thanks for the advice Alan.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Seljalandsfoss

Interestingly, there is no waterfall in the town of Selfoss, even though foss means waterfall. However, there is a waterfall called Selfoss in the north of the country but it ain't got no town.

Gullfoss, near Geysir and Thingvellir, is also worth a hike, if only to stand in the cracks between the techtonic plates.

TVC

Thanks again for the advice, we got the full guides and road atlas when we booked the holiday (fly drive based at a single hotel) and there is just too much to do within easy reach of our base so it's going to be difficult to choose.

Rich P. Looking at the restaurant websites the cost of food has become more affordable, but the government still keeps a lid on drinking - not a problem for me as I will almost always be driving when we eat.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
We went by boat and stuffed the car with enough food and drink to last us four weeks. One of the cheapest holidays we've ever had.

Top Bottom