Old forgotten road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi there,

I know it's a long shot....I'm working at a school in Northampton and want to run an 'Enterprise Club' - basically a club for people who maybe aren't so academic (but everyone is welcome) to do some hands on work. I want them to take an old road bike and restore it/make it rideable so that they can sell it on and try to make the money spent on it back (funded by the school)...I know they'll probably make a loss but hopefully will have a great time on the way and learn some valuable lessons (even if it's just that school can be fun for everyone!!!)

Just wondered if anyone in the area has an old road bike or frame that's just sitting around waiting for the tip but could have some potential for the kids.

Many thanks in advance

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Best bet it to head down to your local dump - last time I was at the dump, I saw untold used bikes there...Ebay might be cheap as well - auction bids, etc...

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Easytigers i sometimes get an ideal for your requirements type of bike , but alas none at the moment but will keep you in mind if i do .

Try Wilfords auction house in he boro as bikes can go cheap i there on a Thursday morning

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Best bet it to head down to your local dump - last time I was at the dump, I saw untold used bikes there...Ebay might be cheap as well - auction bids, etc...
The problem at the dump is that the "operatives" won't let you take them, unless they don't have CCTV, but you'll still have to grease their palms.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Have you not got any 2nd hand markets nearby? Every Saturday there's a market next door. About once a month a road bike pops up amongst the MTB fare.

Alternatively, if you can think of a value-added project with MTBs - mend, ride, clean, sell (call it testing) - there's always about 10 languishing in the market.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi there,

I know it's a long shot....I'm working at a school in Northampton and want to run an 'Enterprise Club' - basically a club for people who maybe aren't so academic (but everyone is welcome) to do some hands on work. I want them to take an old road bike and restore it/make it rideable so that they can sell it on and try to make the money spent on it back (funded by the school)...I know they'll probably make a loss but hopefully will have a great time on the way and learn some valuable lessons (even if it's just that school can be fun for everyone!!!)

Just wondered if anyone in the area has an old road bike or frame that's just sitting around waiting for the tip but could have some potential for the kids.

Many thanks in advance
If you can collect from Abingdon I might have just the thing ....

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
@Easytigers i sometimes get an ideal for your requirements type of bike , but alas none at the moment but will keep you in mind if i do .

Try Wilfords auction house in he boro as bikes can go cheap i there on a Thursday morning
Thanks Biggs! If you get anything in, give me a shout :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
If you can collect from Abingdon I might have just the thing ....
That's a really cool offer, thank you! How much are you looking for it? Can you keep it hanging around or do you need to get rid quickly? If you can keep it for a couple of weeks, I'm over that way in a couple of weekend's time visiting the in-laws :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Guys..Easytiger is trying to help the kids at the school. Surely, someone on here has a half decent Freebie they can let him have to give him half a chance of making a few quid.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Just making sure that people know that we only hope to really cover the costs of the parts etc needed to do the bikes up ^_^ (and as I put earlier - I already know that the club will probably run at a loss!!!). It's more about giving them some different experiences and hopefully giving them some idea of what 'money' actually means (they'll be given a set budget and have to stick to it!).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
That's a really cool offer, thank you! How much are you looking for it? Can you keep it hanging around or do you need to get rid quickly? If you can keep it for a couple of weeks, I'm over that way in a couple of weekend's time visiting the in-laws :smile:
It's a kids 5 speed Raleigh racer, maybe late 80s early 90's. It's in quite good condition but needs a new rear derailleur as it got damaged in the garage. It's hardly been used. It would make a nice retro restoration project. All the bearings need attention so there's plenty getting opportunity.
I need to get it out of my garage as I'm running out if bike space, but there's no immediate rush. I have photos on my work laptop I can send some other time.

If it can be put to good use ....

Oh, and it's free. :-)

Last edited:
Top Bottom