Old forgotten road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would contact your local MP and tell them about the project and get the local papers involved..... You watch how fast offers come flooding in and how the council will soon be 'on-side' to provide more than you need. Also do you have a 'scrap-man' who goes round collecting? We have a guy who comes around in a van, if you approached him and gave him scrap price for frames that could be another source of the starting blocks you need.

The best of luck as this seems a very worthy project. Well done.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
It's a kids 5 speed Raleigh racer, maybe late 80s early 90's. It's in quite good condition but needs a new rear derailleur as it got damaged in the garage. It's hardly been used. It would make a nice retro restoration project. All the bearings need attention so there's plenty getting opportunity.
I need to get it out of my garage as I'm running out if bike space, but there's no immediate rush. I have photos on my work laptop I can send some other time.

If it can be put to good use ....

Oh, and it's free. :-)
That sounds perfect!!! I'll pm you about a date and time to collect it. I really appreciate it and I'm sure that the kids will love it :-)

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
I would contact your local MP and tell them about the project and get the local papers involved..... You watch how fast offers come flooding in and how the council will soon be 'on-side' to provide more than you need. Also do you have a 'scrap-man' who goes round collecting? We have a guy who comes around in a van, if you approached him and gave him scrap price for frames that could be another source of the starting blocks you need.

The best of luck as this seems a very worthy project. Well done.

Thanks Superbadger, good advice :smile:

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Fab Foodie has made a very kind offer to give us a child's road bike for our first project...got me thinking that they could do this one up and then keep it, perhaps put it on a turbo for the winter - it'd keep the ones not working on the bike busy :-) Can you put a child's bike on a normal turbo trainer?

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Quick update...Early morning start tomorrow to go and pick the bike up from Fab Foodie. Children at school are v excited and some of them even wanted to come into school over the weekend to have a look!

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
@Fab Foodie ...Just wanted to say that you are a true gent. Was really nice to have a good chat (although I probably went on too much, especially on a Saturday morning!). Thanks again and will keep the forum updated about the progress of the bike :-)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@Fab Foodie ...Just wanted to say that you are a true gent. Was really nice to have a good chat (although I probably went on too much, especially on a Saturday morning!). Thanks again and will keep the forum updated about the progress of the bike :-)
Absolute pleasure and a great chat, could have carried-on all morning!
Happy to support such a great initiative ... and I now have space for the new bike :thumbsup:

Top Bottom