Old TOTP BBC4.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Now showing TOTP from October 1979.
I have just been transported back to the students lounge at Glasgow Nautical College where I would have seen it first time round (shortly before heading over the river to the Cathadhmara pub for our regular Thursday night session) :cheers:.
Just texted a mate from those good old days to let him know.

Ha! Just been watching Queen and now some laydeez in turquoise spandex; they cannae dance

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
OK, so there was some p!sh in the charts then too......... :stop:
Jeez, no wonder we had to go for drink afterwards! The Chosen Few, WTF..... Awwww naw it gets worse, a Maggie Thatcher impersonator. Don't remember that one!!

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
"Back in the day", we had Countdown in Australia, fronted by Ian "Molly" Meldrum, whose real reason for having a nickname "Molly" became apparent years later :laugh:. I recall some pretty good (and bad) music from that long-running show, too.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3355062, member: 259"]It was shite but it was all we had. 1973 was the last good year, with Sparks, Mott, etc. By 1979 it was overweight twats in dodgy clothes. And the audience was even worse.[/QUOTE]
Clearly the BBC were working to a budget and wheeling out some absolute cack. From the chart countdown it seems there was better than this, that they could have shown.

[QUOTE 3355075, member: 259"]There were some friggin' longueurs on OGWT, though. Tangerine Dream doing one chord for about three days still has me waking up sweating to this day. And Rick Wakeman's bacofoil capes :ohmy:[/QUOTE]

I saw the Anniversary tour of Journey at the Royal Albert Hall earlier this year...

A superb night.. this is one small session

... and the Bacofoil is still there...

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I usually like the old TOTP's but that was grim. "One day at a time"? Sweet Jesus, I'm glad the prog has finished!
I was 10 in 1979, I'm glad I've wiped most of those 'tunes' from the memory banks.

Top Bottom