Olympic RR **spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think it is all very well for us to say so-and-so didn't do the right thing, didn't work hard enough, gave up too soon ...

The truth is that we weren't there doing it, we were just watching on TV. I think what Tom Boonen said afterwards is quite illuminating:

"We did everything we planned, I felt better than the results show. I'm a little disappointed I didn't get a medal," Boonen said at the finish line on The Mall. He blamed the lack of Belgians on the final podium on the difficulties in communicating without radios on a narrow course with thousands of screaming fans.

"It was so hard to communicate. You had to stick with your first plan because you can't tell anyone anything. The moment the break is gone, it's finished, you have to stick with the tactics you planned and can't say I feel good so wait for me. That's what changed the race I think.

"We planned everything the way it went, the only thing that went wrong was that Great Britain didn't close the gap," Boonen said. "Everyone was waiting. It looked like they had situation completely under control and then everyone fell a little asleep I think."

On the nine laps of the 15.5km Box Hill circuit, the peloton seemed to be whittling down the lead of the 12-rider breakaway, reducing it from six minutes to less than one in the closing laps, but Boonen said they couldn't finish off the job.

"When we came the last time on the climb it was 50 seconds and it looked like they would close it any minute. Then we turned back here and it was a little bit of a headwind, and [Great Britain] are only human. If you pull like that for 200k, you get tired."

Germany also had a keen interest in pulling back the breakaway for a sprint, but Boonen said that the entire peloton was out of gas by the time they pitched in. "They worked for five minutes and then they blew – it was a hard race. Everyone was dead, eh. I had the sensation that everyone in the group was redlined. It was a very hard Olympics.”

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Totally agree - I didn't mean to come accross as criticising Froome there.

Sorry, that wasn't aimed at you - I was only quoting you in order to agree with you re the G man.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Geraint Thomas, who I think is potentially better than Wiggins and Froome rolled together. That kind of talent is completely wasted on the track.

d.

tigger

Über Member
And for those who don't get what I meant by a Plan B with Stannard, what I would have done is this: when it was clear that no-one else was going to help drive the peloton, (i.e. at the latest, 30ish km to go) and there was no chance of getting Cav to the front, I would have slowed the mass chase and sent Stannard up the road to bridge to the escape. He has the engine to do this, and was by far the freshest of the British riders having only done the Tour de Pologne (where he was awesome) not the TdF. Britain still might not have even got a medal, but that would have at least given the team more of a chance than we had be sticking to a plan that had already been found out.

Great idea Flying Monkey. The only problem is Stannard didn't have the engine or freshness today to close the gap down when he was pulling on the front. What makes you think he could have bridged the gap?

aJohnson

He did at least hold back on stage 17 (when Wiggo and everyone else looked spent). But the battle was already won and I personally think he still overacted the sitting up and offering a helping hand malarky, just to play to the cameras and show how strong he was. If he was a real, honest professional team player he would have just quietly paced his leader and got on with his job

That's something he did that I really disliked. Wiggins knew he had to keep going, but it was like Froome wanted to show off. He kept sitting up and waving Wiggins to hurry up.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
How much experience do the GB guys have riding without radios?

I wonder whether some of the other guys in the stage have a bit more experience of old skool racing pre-radios...

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
They need to learn how to ride without power meters too. The Sky strategy doesn't really work for long one-day races where racing instinct is worth a lot more than numbers on a screen. Vino proved that today.

d.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Great idea Flying Monkey. The only problem is Stannard didn't have the engine or freshness today to close the gap down when he was pulling on the front. What makes you think he could have bridged the gap?

It is a very different thing to break and bridge than to pull the peloton at full pace. Other less powerful riders than Stannard managed to get across to the break today. Anyway, the argument is academic because that isn't what Team GB chose to do.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
They need to learn how to ride without power meters too. The Sky strategy doesn't really work for long one-day races where racing instinct is worth a lot more than numbers on a screen. Vino proved that today.

I agree. This is also why Nicole Cooke is an Olympic champion when she can hardly seem to catch a break in the regular season, and why I think she is still our best hope of winning Gold in the women's race.

d.
I'd bet that experienced riders know well enough how they're going, even without SRMs. I think they're a bit of a red herring.

thom

____
He gave an interview to L'Equipe stating he would like to be team leader, that he could win the tour and was frustrated.
Froome's girlfriend claims that interview was done in Italian, translated to French and then to English. It's possible something was gained in the translation. Who knows ?

tigger

Über Member
Froome's girlfriend claims that interview was done in Italian, translated to French and then to English. It's possible something was gained in the translation. Who knows ?

That is possible for sure. How reliable a witness is Michelle Cound?

Top Bottom