On verge of leaving cycle club.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
QUOTE="Pale Rider, post: 6401203, member: 24609"]

[/QUOTE

It was clearly a feature in the post as it was the condition that led to the alleged unpleasant actions of some in the cycling club. What it was not was the main point of the post, nor a reason to comment on the impact of the condition of the person concerned.

My comment still stands. Your comments were unnecessary, irrelevant and not based on knowledge of that condition.

Several posters on here seem to agree with my contention that Asperger's is not relevant to the reaction of the other members.

Your posts on that matter are at best opaque, but it remains a relevant consideration.

You don't 'get over' Asperger's / high functioning autism.

I didn't say you did, but thanks for the info.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Its a shame that a persons personality traits profile is used in any negative way. In reality we all have to learn to adapt our behaviours to suit others if we want to get on.
We all have a position on whichever scale you wish to cite.
Any negativity tends to suggest a weakness or fear. I wouldn't feel comfortable being around people who could not be bothered to enlighten themselves.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Or as my friend calls it , disguises. And I don't think he did but that's just an opinion.
I don't know, I would say that disguising anxiety is a slightly different thing to genuinely overcoming it, but it is maybe a subtle difference and I see where they're coming from.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Sorry if this is a bit off topic but the thread appears to have evolved towards an aspergers discussion anyway, so....
As I have suspected for a long time, according to this online test for Aspergers, I am upper borderline with a score of 31. I have done several tests and always get a similar result - so it's not just this one. As previously posted, I have 2 nephews who have been diagnosed with Aspergers and it is possibly genetic. I have been previously diagnosed with social anxiety, and there appears to be a link between the two conditions.
  • 0-11 low result – indicating no tendency at all towards autistic traits.
    [*]11-21 is the average result that people get (many women average around 15 and men around 17)
    [*]22-25 shows autistic tendencies slightly above the population average
    [*]26-31 gives a borderline indication of an autism spectrum disorder. It is also possible to have aspergers or mild autism within this range.
    [*]32-50 indicates a strong likelihood of Asperger syndrome or autism.
At the ripe old age of almost 59 I don't see much point in wasting NHS resources trying to get an "official" diagnosis - what can be done anyway? I have already adjusted my life to suit the social anxiety thing, and I don't consider it to be a disability. Things could be an awful lot worse, and most people I have met (including those from this forum ;)) probably wouldn't notice. The SA only really kicks in at more formal gatherings. I get very uncomfortable at weddings, funerals etc. when I have to sit still in rows with other people. Interviews are a nightmare for me, as were various events in the Police (sitting in classrooms during training, standing in one spot at football matches, public speaking, and the worst of the lot - standing at attention during inspection by senior officers).

The upside is I am perfectly comfortable standing in a pub (as long as it's not too busy) having a pint or two, and riding a bike. So that's about all you need in life, is it not? :smile:

Brandane

Legendary Member
No, but you can get over some of the anxieties, or develop coping strategies, which is what I think @Pale Rider was suggesting.
Something as simple as chewing on a piece of gum. When I told a psychiatrist about my use of that he described it as a "distractor"; a coping mechanism which I had inadvertently discovered for myself. But people get a bit funny about someone chewing gum during a funeral service, so I have to be discrete about it!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Something as simple as chewing on a piece of gum. When I told a psychiatrist about my use of that he described it as a "distractor"; a coping mechanism which I had inadvertently discovered for myself. But people get a bit funny about someone chewing gum during a funeral service, so I have to be discrete about it!
Self stimulation or 'stimming'. It's a well known autistic activity. Some say that it aids in sensory processing of external overstimulation.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
according to this online test for Aspergers, I am upper borderline with a score of 31.

Out of curiosity I tried it and my score was 27. I wasn't expecting that.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I suspect frequenters of a cycling forum will on average be a lot higher up that scale than the general population.
Do you like computers, communicating by text, intricate mechanisms and getting out in the fresh air on your own? Do you enjoy collecting and analysing data, both biomechanical and technical? Do you have a particular special interest or hobby?

Yes, I see what you mean.

Top Bottom