Ooh I say, I've split my rim!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
:biggrin:

Out for a pootle this evening and felt a strange, regular bump coming from my back wheel as it passed through the brake blocks. Pulled over, had a quick feel round my rim...couldn't find anything wrong...carried on.

Bumping gets worse.

Pause again, and under the watchful gaze of a curious crow discover my rim is split :laugh:

I'll swap your rim for my knee? It's a good deal.

honest.

wafflycat

*ahem*

I have mentioned this before young lady, but you really should be making sure Chuffy examines your rim up close regularly and does the necessary maintenance... This is what you get for ignoring your rim.

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
wafflycat said:
*ahem*
I have mentioned this before young lady, but you really should be making sure Chuffy examines your rim up close regularly and does the necessary maintenance... This is what you get for ignoring your rim.
:biggrin: The only person who looks at my rims in this household is me. I may let him touch my new one if he asks nicely though.

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
badkitty said:
Congrats on a lucky escape - could have been scary.
Was pondering this earlier - have done some fairly speedy descents recently so it was indeed lucky. Rim didn't feel that worn and couldn't see the wear indicator...

Baggy said:
Two? :laugh: You are a hard mistress on your rims...

It has been said.:biggrin:

Lol! My wheels did get a bit of a caning last winter because they had to carry both me and badkitten through all the mud and crap etc. And there is a very scary chalk/flint valley that I ride through 4 times a day, so even being careful with the brakes, rim death was inevitable.
Hopefully, this winter will be better because she's on her own bike now. :blush:

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
badkitty said:
And there is a very scary chalk/flint valley that I ride through 4 times a day, so even being careful with the brakes, rim death was inevitable.
Hopefully, this winter will be better because she's on her own bike now. :biggrin:
Hah, she can wear her own out! We have "Devonshire grinding paste" that forms on the roads, a scrapy mix of flint, gravel, orange soil and salt. Yum!

I feel as though I'm missing out, I've never split a rim (Oh no, now I've said it). I broke an axle once but that's as close as it gets.

Top Bottom