Opinion on tyres for winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not that they are much use on road bikes as they on as 700x37 is the narrowest size
Depends on the road bike. ;) 26x1⅜" is 37 wide. 27x1¼" is 32 wide and you can sometimes fit 37s in the frame - if you can find them any more. I don't really understand why more newer road bikes aren't a bit more relaxed about the clearances. Maybe racers won't like them, but it'd help a lot more people through the winter.

I managed the last two winter on 700x23c Gatorskin tyres with mudguards.

Reactions: mjr

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions

KneesUp

Guru
I managed the last two winter on 700x23c Gatorskin tyres with mudguards.
The last two winters have been fairly mild though - not that I've ever bothered changing tyres. As a kid I used to swap my road bike for my brothers mountain bike (which he never used) if there was snow on the ground. I guess I'll take the same approach now that I've started cycling again: just swap from my road-ish bike to my MTB if it gets bad.

The last two winters have been fairly mild though - not that I've ever bothered changing tyres. As a kid I used to swap my road bike for my brothers mountain bike (which he never used) if there was snow on the ground. I guess I'll take the same approach now that I've started cycling again: just swap from my road-ish bike to my MTB if it gets bad.
Last one was, I think you might find that snow laid here from Jan-April in the winter of 2012-13, one of the worst I remember in recent years and the one previous to that hadn't been none to mild.
bus stop2_tonemapped.jpg _MG_8993-Edit-Edit.jpg
Could even pull out the temps of my rides if you want a comparison, coldest I remember in 2012-13 was about -5C, last year 0.8C

KneesUp

Guru
Last one was, I think you might find that snow laid here from Jan-April in the winter of 2012-13, one of the worst I remember in recent years and the one previous to that hadn't been none to mild.
View attachment 60100 View attachment 60101
Could even pull out the temps of my rides if you want a comparison, coldest I remember in 2012-13 was about -5C, last year 0.8C
Just shows how good my memory is! I thought we'd had two mild ones since the bad one.

I always put winter tyres on my car, but there is rather more kinetic energy to consider with a car than a bike, and if I can't get traction on my bike to get up the hill that is our road, I can easily push it. It's not so easy with 1300kg of car!

pawl

Legendary Member
No I'm saying that with the exception of spiked/studded tyres there really is no such thing as a winter tyre for a bicycle. There is nothing special about a tyre that means it can only be used in "winter" and that will render it useless in July
I ride Michelin Pro Endurance all year round,as others have indicated the only tyre that is going to grip on ice is a spiked tyre.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You could do worse than to buy a pair of the very excellent Veloflex Open Corsa tyres from Ribble for £52, these have a fine cross-hatched tread and are unbelievebly grippy in the wet. The carcass has a tpi of 320 so they ride like a tubular. They have improved my confidence by 100% and I will never go back to another tyre.

loother

Über Member
I have used conti sport contact 28mm on my caadx for last two years, with no problems. I have a spare set of wheels with CX tyres on that will be soon fitted with studded tyres. I will then be able to have a safer commute in icy conditions.

Top Bottom