Opinions on some one pulling out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Servicemycycle

Its life Jim but not as we know it!
Rolling home this evening enjoying the ride. Decided to use the Go Pro for a change when I was pulled out on,

I didnt have o brake or adjust my direction, When I was taught to drive I was told only to go if it was clear or you can get out without the other road user adjusting their speed or direction. but I still feel the driver could have waited, am I just being a little soft?

what are you thoughts?

the video is here

Thanks

Driver is a tit taking a chance with your safety.

OP
OP
Servicemycycle

Servicemycycle

Its life Jim but not as we know it!
Yeah Thats what I was thinking ... None story but has having the camera on made me see something that isnt there ... Just questioning my own train of thoughts if that makes sense ... Thanks Marmion

jarlrmai

Veteran
It looked close to me if the driver had had to react to something else and stop, would you have been able to brake in time to stop easily?

vickster

Legendary Member
I was also taught to ease off the accelerator when approaching a junction within cars waiting in case someone pulled out :smile:. I do the same on the bike

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
That was way too close for comfort. This happens far too often at junctions. Asswipe drivers just completely ignore bikes as they pull out. It has happened to me a lot.

stan leyden

Too close,
but he did save a whole second on his journey time
so the driver must have thought it was worth risking your safety.

stowie

Legendary Member
Too close, and I would bet a reasonable amount of money that the driver hadn't any clue of how fast you were going, or indeed done anything other than a cursory glance in either direction as they rolled through the junction. So, the fact that they didn't hit you was a function of luck / your judgement if you needed to brake and anticipate rather than a function of their driving skill.

It isn't too much to ask for drivers to stop and double check at a junction if a cyclist is approaching as this gives time to gauge the road properly. Another driver who relies on your road skills to mitigate his inability to manage driving his tonne of metal in a responsible way.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I had one of those today - same type and colour of car. Driver just looked at me !
It still really p####s me off how drivers who do this can't see what they've done wrong. It's quite a common problem.
Some even look straight at you, wait for you to get real close, then go. Almost brushing your front tyre as they turn right.

jarlrmai

Veteran
My current one is people just driving straight at me when I'm passing parked cars either on my side or their side of the road and am in primary.

My commute is all of 10 minutes on 20-30 MPH limit roads these days, I wear a bike hat and my work pants and a coat, ride a single speed Schwinn, I most definitely am not looking like a "lycra lout" It's happened twice in 2 days now an I would say happens 40% of the time down this one stretch of road.

These people that have no problem with drivers, I want to know where they ride.

Last edited:
Top Bottom