England : West Midlands Overnight ride From Birmingham to Rollright Stones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
kimble

kimble

Veteran
It's hard to get out of Birmingham in any direction without dealing with hills. I was absolutely amazed by the ease of cycling when I took my bike to flat London.

I did the reverse when I moved here about 5 years ago. Previously the Col de Bow Flyover counted as a serious hill, so the Lickeys came as something of a shock. ^_^

Anyway, I'll join you on this ride. My only concern is that the Lezyne Macro Drive is only rated for 4.5 hours at full power, but I do have a Micro Drive too so it shouldn't be a problem as long as it starts getting lighter towards the end of the ride.

Excellent.

As mcshroom says, it should last the night if you turn it down when in streetlit areas or riding in a group. I've done FNRttCs and the like with an IxonIQ, which has similar battery life on full power and never had a problem with it lasting the night when used sparingly. Dynamo lights are lovely, though.

Wobblers

Euthermic
hmmm, this sounds interesting...
Am tempted but will be at work all day on the Friday from 730am onwards. Not sure if I could make over 24 hours without sleep
not to mention the probably 70 mile bike ride :s

You'd be surprised. Falling asleep in the saddle was my biggest fear on doing my first night ride, but I've never felt sleepy at all on any FNRttC. There's been a couple of times I've only managed to get 3-4 hours sleep before one, but even then, tiredness hasn't been a problem. You could try getting a nap in the evening if you're worried, but I think you'd be fine.

Breakfast and the train ride back are entirely another matter. But at least you're not running the risk of cycling into a hedge though!

OP
OP
kimble

kimble

Veteran
But at least you're not running the risk of cycling into a hedge though!

No, it's usually nettles. :whistle:

It's entirely possible to fall asleep on a bike, just as it is while driving a car. Personally, that doesn't happen to me on ~100k night rides, but can be a problem if I'm still riding at about 10-11am the following morning, when I'm naturally at my sleepiest.

I recommend a couple of hours sleep before the ride, coffee if you're into that sort of thing, and not going anywhere near the controls of a car the next day. When you've done a few night rides, you'll have a better idea of how your body reacts. (A lot of people find they start to get dozy at about 4am. I don't really get dozy at that point, but can get colder than usual.)

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Damn it, why did I forget to up date you, sorry!

I sooooooo badly want to do this ride. Everything is set, planned organised etc, but, my family have said they will not be impressed with me turning up at my mums birthday party/meal, not only possibly late, wearing lycra and smelling of, well, cycling, but that if I fall asleep, am done for.... I just cant it.. I am soo sorry but I cant do it.

One day.. one fine day, it will happen..

Wobblers

Euthermic
A fine day would be good. As the forecast is now predicting snow, I'm expecting the spate of weather-related pull-outs to start shortly...

It was sleet during the day the last time I looked. TBH, if it looks like icy or slippery conditions, I'm likely to be a part of the spate - I've developed something of a reluctance for such conditions after last year's off. Of course, it doesn't help that the Bike With Mudguards now has a suspect RH shifter...

On the other hand, if the weather's not too shocking, the current mad scheme is to bike it back to Brum from the Stones, that would make it my first century ride of the year.

Wobblers

Euthermic
The forecast's unequivocal, so I'm cancelling it. :sad:

More here.

Boo!

Absolutely the right decision. It started snowing when I was on the way back from the shops, and it's snowing heavily here now. Every time I've looked at the forecast it's got worse, and I've got more sweary (winter: f*** off.) With snow on the way, temperatures remaining below zero and uncertain ice hazards into a fierce head wind it just isn't sensible to carry on. Thanks for all your hard work in organising it.

Top Bottom