Paper Helmet ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So not a clue then really. Is this design supposed to be about protection, or about an illusion of protection? If the former, someone should be working to the bare minimum standards demanded of helmets. If the latter, someone should be being a bit more honest about the fact that we are essentially looking at an ornament.

The answer you are seeking is already in the thread

See Paper Helmet ??

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So not a clue then really. Is this design supposed to be about protection, or about an illusion of protection? If the former, someone should be working to the bare minimum standards demanded of helmets. If the latter, someone should be being a bit more honest about the fact that we are essentially looking at an ornament.
Adrian, as has been stated over and over. The Dyson design award is not judged on the criteria that you want it judged.

Perhaps you need to start your own design competition and you can include whatever criteria floats your boat.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
But would it be fine for a chocolate teapot to win a prize?
Yes, would be ok with me, as long as it was marketed as an ornament or as a novelty object that is maybe good only for one cuppa.
Trouble here is that a cycling helmet is supposed to be safety equipment.
Of course we all know the limitations of a chocolate teapot, but imo the limitations of this paper helmet are not yet known.
When they will be known, will the limitations be in very, very small print on the inside?
Personally I would work on the assumption that few cycle hires go on, when it's raining. I know this to be the case in London as I use the boris bike system every day (yes even in the rain) and the stands are all full .

As far as getting caught in the rain, again, these are tourists and workers, dressed in usual daywear. It's fair to assume that very few will ride on in a down pour and would more likely seek refuge in a coffee shop or on the underground.

I don't think, given the application, that rain protection or proofing was a main criteria. It just wouldn't make sense.

Don't confuse this with an every day helmet, that has to meet additional design criteria on reuse, waterproofing, sweat resistance etc etc....

This is a single use, 30 minute lid to cater for those who wish to wear a lid when renting a cycle without having to lug that same lid about all day
You could not bank on the weather here: for a start it could be sunshine one minute, pouring rain the next.
I've seen a NextBike (our Boris bikes) in the park tonight. There's sheet ice about.
All kind of folks use the Next Bikes here, even regular cyclists with their own bike, when they don't want to lock it up in town for example.
Of course, they could provide their own helmets, so maybe they would not buy a paper one.
I get what you mean for single use, but one could hit their head pretty badly even on a 5 minute ride.
So, I could perhaps concede the title of "innovative design" to the object.
Innovative but single use only: just like a chocolate teapot then ^_^

If it is just an ornament, who would wear it, and when? It's pretty unisex, so men and women could choose it to wear to a wedding, or a funeral. It could be specially colour or pattern coordinated to match an outfit. Can anyone honestly see a future for this masterpiece of design smartness?

As repeatedly pointed out, it is a design item...... and one which succeeds in this context

It explores concepts, and as a helmet it is successful in that it functions as such.

If you want to wear a helmet then it is probably no better or no worse than many others on the market..... which really answers the question as to when it would be worn and yes there is a future if as intended with a design item it triggers further development and improvement. Suppose someone takes the design and than uses a light plastic and solves the waterproofing problem

Applying a bizarre set of criteria in order to try and ridicule the item merely shows this misunderstanding

Now apply the question to any item of cycle clothing such as my waterproof jacket, SPD shoes or bib tights (All of which have won design awards) ................ They're pretty unisex, so men and women could choose to wear them to a wedding, or a funeral. They could be a special colour or pattern coordinated to match an outfit.

As a test most cycle equipment fails .........Can anyone honestly see a future for any cycle specific clothing?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Nobody is offering it for sale. It's a design competition with a hefty cash prize to fund further development.

Have you read the BBC article linked in the opening post or the design brief JJ posted a couple of pages or so ago? It may dispel any thoughts that this is a product ready for marketing.

Last edited by a moderator:
You seem to be missing the point here. It is visually a helmet, it is described as a helmet, it will be sold as a helmet, and will, most probably, be accepted as having powers of protection. Has it got them or not? If not, then who is responsible for the mis-selling?

I clarified this for you before, once again please see post 87:

Paper Helmet ??

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
You seem to be missing the point here. It is visually a helmet, it is described as a helmet, it will be sold as a helmet, and will, most probably, be accepted as having powers of protection. Has it got them or not? If not, then who is responsible for the mis-selling?
How many times Adrian

Yes. It offers protection. Perhaps you should take the time to review previous post including video footage of impact testing.

Then maybe you can stop asking the same question over and over...and getting the same answer.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Yes, would be ok with me, as long as it was marketed as an ornament or as a novelty object that is maybe good only for one cuppa.
Of course we all know the limitations of a chocolate teapot, but imo the limitations of this paper helmet are not yet known.
When they will be known, will the limitations be in very, very small print on the inside?

You could not bank on the weather here: for a start it could be sunshine one minute, pouring rain the next.
I've seen a NextBike (our Boris bikes) in the park tonight. There's sheet ice about.
All kind of folks use the Next Bikes here, even regular cyclists with their own bike, when they don't want to lock it up in town for example.
Of course, they could provide their own helmets, so maybe they would not buy a paper one.
I get what you mean for single use, but one could hit their head pretty badly even on a 5 minute ride.
Absolutely, the weather in the UK especially is always going to have a limiting impact on this products viability.

Thing is though....and the helmet haters will love this comment...even when wet and a bit soggy, its still probably no less safe than a solid full time lid. However as you say above as a design study its incredibly innovative and as a single use kid, mist likely just as protective as most lids...until it rains.

But then, just wait 5 minutes.

Now that is just silly. If it's a helmet, it should offer protection. If it's a hat, it should be aesthetically pleasing. Perhaps it's just a bit of art. The functions of the other examples you suggest are clearly defined, and their forms follow from them.

I agree it is very silly ....... You decided to choose a very limited and narrow use, one that designed to make the helmet fail - wearing to funerals and weddings, and this failed as a "test"

All cycle clothing fails in this respect, not just the helmet.

(Although I have been to a funeral in full cycling kit as this was what the family requested for a keen cyclist. We rode to the Crematorium as a group, and to the "Wake" after)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I get what @Cunobelin and @jonny jeez are saying - and @shouldbeinbed said it also, the object is not ready for marketing and has won the award to develop it further.
But I cannot help agreeing with @User: this is a case where money is awarded to a money making idea.
The inventor never said her invention was to be an ornament, she clearly stated a prospective selling price and a market the helmet is aimed to.
If this is not a business idea, I don't know what one would be!
So, to be true to her innovative idea, the helmet must be made of paper or some other, disposable and foldable material.
After all we already have "hard helmets" galore.

I have just finished my design on a northerner-beating-stick. It is elegant and stylish. I will post photos soon but the design is incredible. Some people are all getting upset they don't like sticks to beat northeners with but they should look beyond that and focus on the styling. It's up for a design award. I'm very proud of it.

I just ask you judge it on its merit or design rather than the pure functional use.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I have just finished my design on a northerner-beating-stick. It is elegant and stylish. I will post photos soon but the design is incredible. Some people are all getting upset they don't like sticks to beat northeners with but they should look beyond that and focus on the styling. It's up for a design award. I'm very proud of it.

I just ask you judge it on its merit or design rather than the pure functional use.
Or,we could judge it on the criteria set out with the competition brief.

just show me the criteria and I'll happily help.

The world is a far bigger place than the UK. Plenty of places with high populations where rain is rare. As a product developer, your local market isn't always the one you design for.
Good products needn't be introspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom