Passport, Northern to Southern Ireland?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rhythm Thief said:
Alright, I know this isn't the best bit of the forum for this question, but there are 34 people viewing the cafe and 9 viewing tour and expedition, and one of the other drivers at work wants to know if he needs a passport to go from Northern to Southern Ireland. Anyone know?
No you don't need a passport, I've done the journey several times.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Dunno, but I guess not. You don't need one to go from the UK to Eire, and Northern Ireland is in the UK, so I'd say no. Do we got any Irish denizens?
Looks like I'm too slow...

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have travelled by train several times from the south to the north and back again. There are no checks.

daz999

As many have stated no you do not currently need a passport to cross the border.

You may need a passport for checking into hotels and the like (as in Spain), but i'm not 100% on this. Is your driver going back to the mainland via a southern port? If so he may need one there.

Still get the odd checkpoint either side of the border, with basic stop and sometimes search. These days tend to see more customs activity.. stopping for agricultural diesel.
You should be aware that its a requirement to have your driving licence with you when driving in the Republic. Also the speed limits are in KM/hr not that many people pay too much attention to it !! Beware of the rural Irish sport of "drink driving" anytime after work in the evenings.
Also its prime GAA championship (cup) season, so be wary of large cavalcades of cars with horns blazing and flags flying speeding (GAA drivers only have 2 speeds - fast and Fecking fast ) with young lads and lasses hanging out of windows as some village/parish manages to beat (7 shades out of) their neighbours in the annual grudge match. All will retire to the same pub causing an unearthly traffic jam usually at about 5PM on a Sunday. Note if there are no flags waving/youngsters hanging out of windows, it most likely a funeral which also can get rather large, cause unseeming traffic jams in rural Ireland, and also involve lots of people going to the same pub.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Well a few years ago when I crossed on the now defunct Swansea to Cork ferry I had to show passports upon arrival in Cork

I remember a few years back in Dublin airport my plane was full of non EU citizens and I was stopped going through the EU queue, as the guard didn't recognise a photo driving license as a proof of ID. Once I pointed out his error he let me continue, he wasn't too happy though.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Well a few years ago when I crossed on the now defunct Swansea to Cork ferry I had to show passports upon arrival in Cork

Years ago you had to show a passport at Fishguard on that crossing (and being querried on why and where you were going).

Top Bottom