Passport, Northern to Southern Ireland?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

what would happen if you tried to cycle from, say, holland into germany?
Is there a barrier? What if you went round it off road on a mtb - surely there isn't a fence the whole way along the border>?

snorri

Legendary Member
bonj said:
what would happen if you tried to cycle from, say, holland into germany?

Nothing, you would be unlikely to identify the actual border, you wouldn't see the join.:becool:

I took a ferry from Germany to Denmark in June, paid cash for the "ticket" which was actually just a till receipt. No passports, no questions, as easy as a bus trip in this country.

It's not so straightforward getting from the Scottish mainland to Orkney with Northlink though:evil:

bonj2

snorri said:
Nothing, you would be unlikely to identify the actual border, you wouldn't see the join.:biggrin:

I took a ferry from Germany to Denmark in June, paid cash for the "ticket" which was actually just a till receipt. No passports, no questions, as easy as a bus trip in this country.

It's not so straightforward getting from the Scottish mainland to Orkney with Northlink though:evil:

what about if you just went east from germany, where's the first barrier you'd get to where they demand your passport?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
bonj said:
what about if you just went east from germany, where's the first barrier you'd get to where they demand your passport?

Polish / Belarus border

snorri

Legendary Member
No walls, but in these days of electronic surveillance, who knows:?:
Anyway, why do you ask when you said you had an aversion to "poor/dodgy" countries, some would say Belarus comes into that category.:biggrin:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
bonj said:
so what would happen if you tried to go round it off-road on a MTB then?
is there a wall all along the border?

I would imagine if caught then you would be approached with blokes with long rubber gloves and asked to bend over.

Belarus is still a very communist country and not one you would want to enter without the right documents unless you like sharing prison cells with blokes with big moustaches and interesting bathroom habits :blush:

Apeman

Über Member
I am a resident of N.I. and no you do not need a passport to travel between North and South nor do you need a passport to book into hotels. A current driving license is all that is required. We are in the E.U. after all

bonj2

snorri said:
No walls, but in these days of electronic surveillance, who knows:?:
Anyway, why do you ask when you said you had an aversion to "poor/dodgy" countries, some would say Belarus comes into that category.xx(
oh it does. jsut curous though.

Top Bottom