Pedestrian looking at phone hit by cyclist gets compensation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
instead of braking, he sounded his airhorn
All iv read is this thread and the linked article but it wouldn't surprise me if that's why the judge held the cyclist partly to blame and awarded 50/50. Anyone else seen any other articles on the judges reasoning?

classic33

Leg End Member
It got even worse she want's cost's too about 100K. Look's like he guy is on his way to bankruptcy just go's to show you really do need insurance.
What ever the right's or wrong's in this case or another maybe how ever you got cover just get covered.
https://road.cc/content/news/262582...h-pedestrian-facing-bankruptcy-after-claimant

sleuthey

Legendary Member
This has me worried now😕
Here is the schedule for my policy with cycleplan. Is public liability the same as third party? IE. If I hit a car am I covered for its repair costs and if I hit a human does it cover compensation?

vickster

Legendary Member
This has me worried now😕
Here is the schedule for my policy with cycleplan. Is public liability the same as third party? IE. If I hit a car am I covered for its repair costs and if I hit a human does it cover compensation?
View attachment 505905
Should be but check provider Ts & Cs.
£1m sounds on the low side (British Cycling offers £15m), if you consider what injuries a ped could sustain (a child left paraplegic as a worst case scenario for example)

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
This has me worried now😕
View attachment 505905
Yes. The public liability cover is for any damages and costs incurred to others.
£1 million isn’t a huge amount once you factor in the general award plus loss of earnings legal costs etc.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It does sound strange that he could find time to operate his air horn. But not have time to operate his brakes.

I certainly would have made a counter claim. I have no idea what his legal advisors were thinking. But it does show that it pays to have cycling insurance. I think everyone who rides a bike should have it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I certainly would have made a counter claim. I have no idea what his legal advisors were thinking.
As I understand it, he did not take legal advice or submit a claim for assistance to his own home insurers until relatively late in the process because he rejects the compensation culture - but sadly, ignoring the leopard does not mean it will ignore you.

But it does show that it pays to have cycling insurance. I think everyone who rides a bike should have it.
Do you feel general public liability insurance (as in most household insurances) is not enough, then?

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Do you feel general public liability insurance (as in most household insurances) is not enough, then?

My home insurance covers (from a public liability perspective) undertakings within the property, or damages sustained by the property (loose roof tile failing onto person/property for example). I would say in my case, my insurance is not adequate.

classic33

Leg End Member
It does sound strange that he could find time to operate his air horn. But not have time to operate his brakes.

I certainly would have made a counter claim. I have no idea what his legal advisors were thinking. But it does show that it pays to have cycling insurance. I think everyone who rides a bike should have it.
He represented himself at the start, as he couldn't afford legal representation.

Top Bottom