Personal Privacy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twiggy

Known about the scanners for ages now, they can produce clearer images too.

This is basically strip searching each and every person, I can't really see this being a good thing. Keep in mind that people get groped during pat downs at airports all the time.

Imagine you've had a double mastectomy, suddenly some random security person is able to see, or a partial or full penectomy. Physically inter sexed? gynaecomastia?
All bared to some anonymous and unaccountable security person.

All very worrying...

bonj2

Twiggy said:
Known about the scanners for ages now, they can produce clearer images too.

This is basically strip searching each and every person, I can't really see this being a good thing. Keep in mind that people get groped during pat downs at airports all the time.

Imagine you've had a double mastectomy, suddenly some random security person is able to see, or a partial or full penectomy. Physically inter sexed? gynaecomastia?
All bared to some anonymous and unaccountable security person.

All very worrying...
what would they gain by learning, and what would you lose from their learning of, that information?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Brains said:
The government's unpublished aim is to have a DNA record of the vast majority of the population.

Eventually this will be your "ID"

DNA readers will replace credit cards, oyster cards, ID cards, car keys, house keys and office passes.
S'true, I s'pose. Just had a nightmare vision of the future, though,.. DNA theft... just touching summat will leave traces of DNA... people will follow you, nick your DNA off the coffee cup (or ... you know, sex toy or whatever) and pretend to be you. So. we'll all have to live in our own individual plastic bubble, and all possessions will have to be disposable. So once we've used a thing,. we chuck it in the communal incinerator, thus adding to the permanent smog which envelops the earth in a thick layer of fug.

However, our bubbles will be geared, and we can argue over Shimano/Campag gearing for them. Or, purists might prefer a fixie-bubble. So it isn't all bad news :wacko:

bonj2

ChrisKH said:
Personal information imparted that has no bearing on security.

and , so therefore - ... I'll put it another way, what... no I won't, I'll just repeat the question. What would they gain by learning, and what would you lose from their learning of, that information?

PaulB

Legendary Member
bonj said:
and , so therefore - ... I'll put it another way, what... no I won't, I'll just repeat the question. What would they gain by learning, and what would you lose from their learning of, that information?

That's quite possibly the most stupid question I've ever read on the pages of this website.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Wrong on so many levels. if they can invent something that shows up the human body then, as suggested, they should programme it to cut out anything human, leaving only the "explosive" or whatever showing. i mean, imagine if it becomes compulsory and children have to walk through it, and some peado is sitting on the other side. or a woman walks through and a rapist has a job in customs/airport security, or just someone fat/different walks through who then becomes a butt of staff jokes to relieve their boredom.

I'm all for the highest security at airports, but not for being singled out and perved/laughed at.

Re millimetre wave scanners:
It's an automated and mass produced version of the strip search. And we all know how degrading they are. Normally strip searches were applied if the police had some reasonable suspicion that you were hiding a weapon or evidence of a crime on your person. Now it's applied to the travelling public en masse regardless of suspicion. In my view this is overstepping the mark.

Just because it happens through a technology interface doesn't remove the violent degradation it is purporting to 'sanitise'.

Kirstie said:
Re millimetre wave scanners:
It's an automated and mass produced version of the strip search. And we all know how degrading they are. Normally strip searches were applied if the police had some reasonable suspicion that you were hiding a weapon or evidence of a crime on your person. Now it's applied to the travelling public en masse regardless of suspicion. In my view this is overstepping the mark.

Just because it happens through a technology interface doesn't remove the violent degradation it is purporting to 'sanitise'.
Hyperbole alert!

Come on, it's hardly the same as having a security gimp shove a latex gloved hand up your various orifices while you shiver in the nud is it? Walking through a scanner while a bored operative looks for signs of plastic explosive etc is hardly 'violent degradation'.

where are we......caff, right.

Is there a course you can go on to learn to operate one of these machines then? Mind you, imagine getting an eyefull of some lardy bloke. Does it scan the folds?

Crackle said:
where are we......caff, right.

Is there a course you can go on to learn to operate one of these machines then? Mind you, imagine getting an eyefull of some lardy bloke. Does it scan the folds?
Must be, I'm here....:smile:

Ooooh, I wonder if there's an organic material that shields them magic rays? Fat blokes could make a fortune as drug mules....

Top Bottom