Pet Peeves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shooter560

We all have pet peeves for when we are out riding, my biggest one was lived out AGAIN tonight, a club ride, 12 or so riders, doing our normal ride 2 lines, on the front till you've had enough etc, and then move over and the next moves up, nice and easy pace chatting with a regular member who has a reputation for doing nothing, anyway he was next in line we spoke and he said how fresh and strong he was feeling and said how easy tonights ride was, so the guy in front moved over and the one I spoke to eased up and forced in behind me rather than take a turn:angry: make matters worse at the end of the ride he is there and comments on how he is improving because he beat so and so to the sign. I have bit my tongue every time he does this but I and others are getting a little pi$$ed off at this behaviour.

Next week I'm going to force the pace from the start and see if I can blow him out or just say something outright in plain language, I wouldn't mind if he wasn't strong but he is just plain lazy.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Poor form.

Make him suffer at HIS full pace, then shell-him out at some appropriate time.
Failing that, a stick in the spokes usually works.

Maz

Guru
Are club rides meant to be races? Or just to increase fitness? Not having been on one, I haven't the faintest idea...

OP
OP
shooter560

shooter560

tdr1nka said:
If he's behind you, surely a sharp dab on the brakes might wake him up?:blush:

LOL I like you train of thought, but I wouldn't want to cause the other riders issues, I think I need to say something on Sunday and failing that next weeks pace will be higher and harder especially on hills etc. :wacko:

Maz said:
Are club rides meant to be races? Or just to increase fitness? Not having been on one, I haven't the faintest idea...

Our club ones are run as I guess fitness rides, the pace is normally dictated by the slowest rider, but the general average speed is 19+ mph over 40 odd miles, some nights it averages out close to 23 for the same distance. The last couple of miles does become fast and normally involves a sprint or two just to make the evening go with a bang.

I hate it when manufacturers labels leave a sticky mess on things which appears to be both water and solvent proof. Our bathroom suite, the new fridge-freezer and a recent wallpaper scraper each have the sticky remnants of labels which are impossible to remove.

Gets right up my goat I tell thee.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
mickle said:
I hate it when manufacturers labels leave a sticky mess on things which appears to be both water and solvent proof. Our bathroom suite, the new fridge-freezer and a recent wallpaper scraper each have the sticky remnants of labels which are impossible to remove.

Gets right up my goat I tell thee.

Psssst. Try using eucalyptus oil;).

Keith Oates

Janner
NO, leave it for the Koalas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't know Koala bears did decorating Keith...lots of bear wood to paint I suppose.:wacko:
Start off with your mate in front shooter - and ride at his pace. Don't take turns or ramp it up, just ride steady behind...to 'emphasise' this new found 'form'. Get him to choose the route too and be prepared for a different ride.
If it all becomes a bit one-paced then collectively apply the afterburners at a suitable distance so he can then play catch up.

yello

Just say something to him.

Pet peaves? My dog wants to play fetch all the time, she's obsessive. That, and people who just whine behind other's backs without ever actually saying anything to them :tongue:;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd comment if he's being a lazy bugger - get a few others to do so, especially if he is saying how fresh he is.

We never tollerated it in our club, yeh if you were unfit it was OK, but not to do your turn got pointed out. It's just bad manners.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
To be honest I can't see the problem. If the ride is, as you say, for fitness, then why worry what he does ? If he doesn't want to take his turn then so be it, it is not like it effects you in any real way since the difference between 11 people taking their turn at the front and 12 is negligble surely ?

Just my opinion of course

Andrew :tongue:

Top Bottom